jakazz

how to increase camera video resolution???

i just installed GV1480 (16 camera) DVI.

I installed 3 camera so far...so good.

Only problem is when i go to Configure (F9), then click on Camera 1 Tab... the camera resolution is 320x240. HOw can i kick this up higher? Cuz the camera picture is good, but slightly grainy.

I know the cameras are spec'd for about 500 or so pixels.

OK...I must be slightly retarded... i change the resolution under video source to 640x480... I tried regular and de-interlaced, and no change compared to 320...

Am i doing something wrong?

Do i need a better screen and/or video card?

I'm using the crappy on-board VGA, with Dell LCD...probably not the best...but do i need to upgrade, or should i see a difference?

Could it be cuz of the cameras?

Change the Source first, to 640x480 de-interlaced. Then go back to the camera 1 setup and change the recording resolution there to 640x480. Also change the quality to 5. Do the same with the other cameras.

You wont really notice any difference between the 2 resolutions when in smaller windows (eg. 4 way, 9 way) but when you blow it up to full view, and recording, it will matter.

LCD degrades the quality alot also. If you have DVI on the LCD use that as it will be higher quality (visually) than the VGA.

Onboard will normally be VGA, so you will want to add a seperate video card if you want the DVI and higher quality. Also, the video adaptor on the Dell you have might just be a cheap one, as I have used Intel's 950 without any real quality issues.

Additionally, using the DVR Cards DSP RCA Output. you could use an RCA cable to output the video to a CRT or any other high quality monitor (even just a TV) with a Composite Input.

Lastly, it could just be bad quality cameras. 500 or so pixels is low resolution. Make sure you test them ALL on a high quality CRT monitor first, one at a time, and make sure they are all focused properly and 100% adjusted and setup before connecting them to the DVR.

Rory or ? a similar question I get a realy sharp picture on a video monitor but when I view the same scene with the Geovision software it looks slighty defused/not as sharp! I am using a Iiyama 21" Pro 512 CRT monitor, the graphics is on board Intel G965 125mb the card is a GV-1240, is there normaly some degrogation? Do I need a better Graphics card? Thanks, John.

Could be a couple things. For starters, VGA will be lower quality, if you can get a decent PCI-e or even AGP card with DVI and use that, it will help with some quality.

Its also composite cameras into digital and enlarged to the screen resolution your GeoVision PC is using, when they are smaller images they should be very clear, when you blow it up, it will degrade. For example, a high resolution camera can be 811x pixels, while a low resolution can be 510x. Also the source would be no more than 640x480 or 720x480, while your screen resolution would be around 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (standard these days on LCDs). Im not sure if that CRT is the PC monitor or your video monitor? Anyway, once its blown up to full view, the image will become worse. Sit back from it a bit though and it should not look that bad.

With the Combo cards though, you have the DSP RCA Output. for optimum live video quality, you would use that connected to a CRT Video Monitor.

Honestly Its a trade off with PC based, live quality is typically not that good on PC DVRs, unless using the DSP output. Playback and other features is where it rules.

I got and understood all that Rory I will try a seperate Graphics card the on board is not bad but it uses the on board memory. The Iiyama is my PC monitor the cameras I am using are WV-CP484E and the results are good day and night I have a couple of dark spots which I will fill in with IR later. Thanks, John.