sjose

need input for dvr pc-based system

I am planning to build a dvr for a retail business (convience store-well lit area)). Initially, it will connect to 3 cameras but will expand later to around 6. I want to get more information before I start to build it.

Hre is my basic requirements:

1. The system main purpose is to catch shop lifters, so facial recogniztion & fairly fast enough to catch them in the act are priority

2. The system is able to connect to regular TV(s) for deterrence. I am still not sure how to do that. Can I split BNC from camera into 2, one goes to dvr and the other goes to TV?

On the side, would anyone recommend a good reliable source for geo card? Last but not least , what is the spec for the PC to go well with a recommended dvr card.

I am additional note. I am a newbie, so all advice are really appreciate.

Thanks,

SJOSE

Only advice I can give is to by a ready built DVR that is proven and tested, PC or stand alone.

Rory is right, buying a ready made machine may be more expensive but can avoid the headaches.

You will need a p4 with hyperthreading

Corsair 512 Ram

Seagate 5yr warranty HDD's

Radeon 9200 or above video card

Motherboard with fast bus speed and intel shipset

Good ventilation case

If you are in the trade PM me and I will give you a price for a Geo card, I have now sold to quite a few in the forum.

To get TV Out, you can purchase "Real Time Card" or use a looping switcher (cheaper) do not split signals without amplification! and even if you split say six signals, where will they go to I assume your telly only has 1 or 2 inputs?

Regards,

GC

Thank rory. I am also in a process to evaluate a ready built system. Since I am very new, would you name a few systems and their providers.

DVR_Expert_Australia: I only intend to split the signal from camera to 2, one to TV and one to DVR. Do you think if it is OK? I want to keep the cost down, so real time card is not a option right now. Let me know what do you think. Thanks - SJOSE

Thank rory. I am also in a process to evaluate a ready built system. Since I am very new, would you name a few systems and their providers.

DVR_Expert_Australia: I only intend to split the signal from camera to 2, one to TV and one to DVR. Do you think if it is OK? I want to keep the cost down, so real time card is not a option right now. Let me know what do you think. Thanks - SJOSE

in that case, and if you dont / cant spend much right now, maybe a DVR like this:

http://www.spytown.com/iksd4chdivir.html

I dont know whats going on with Spytown.com's prices but it was $450 a couple weeks ago, and $450 from other dealers, let me know if you are interested and I can point you in th direction. FredB on this forum has also used this DVR so you may want to check with him. I havent tried it yet personally but it does have great specs. Ofcourse due to the price it still lacks the features found in the $1200 GE Kalatel unit, but for a home DVR, cant beat it. Im getting one for own appartment as soon as I get the cash.

Rory

16 channel versions:

Provideo

Everfocus

Hi Sharp

I have used these 3 types as well, they are low end stand alone DVRs.

All lack features found in the GE Kalatel DVRs.

You can find info on this same forum for these as far as tests, etc.

The HiSharp 4 channel is not bad (tested one the other day, only basic though only had 10 minites to play as it was at someone elses house), $600 dealer price though, now the ikagami is only $450 dealer price.

Rory

Thank you very much, rory.

I am looking at the spec right now. I hope you don't mind if you have another question come up. By the way, which dealer still sells it for $450.00. I could not locate one. Agaign, thank a bunch -SJOSE

Hi sjose,

We are also a GV distributor so if you would like to contact me I will also give you a price.

Cheers,

Joel