Sign in to follow this  
kevins7890

New to PTZ, Lots of questions:

Hello,

I am completely new to using PTZ cameras. I have always used fixed setups previously, and I am in a situation where I may need to install multiple PTZ cameras.

Do PTZ cameras require an external controler, or are the DVR's that state they work with PTZ able to control them on their own?

For cabling standards, is RS485 absolutely required or can you go with an 18/2 wire and get by?

Any advice or great writeups on this would be very helpful. Thanks!

i always hookup the ptz to the dvr as well as a joystick controller for local control - people just like to use the controller more when they are onsite - if the client is controlling and viewing all remote then just hook into the dvr.. you need 3 cables going to the ptz - coax, 18-2 for power, and 22-2 shielded for data, you can also use 18-2 if you need to but try and go with something that shielded.

what mfg ptz are you considering and are the indoor or out?

Not sure on the MFG yet. Its an indoor application but its in a manufacturing facility thats pretty low light during the day, and even more low light during the evening and third shift hours. Im looking at outdoor cameras due to the environment and most likely either a high rez b&w or low light/night color cameras.