This question has been asked before yet I am not certain yet about the answer:

I would like to install a CCTV security system in my house. I would like to use my existing CATV cables (I believe they are regular aluminum-based cables). There is no interfering cable signal as the comcast signal is not connected to the lines I intend to use. The distances are short, maximum 40 ft or so.

1. Will it be possible to make this happen using CATV cable or will signal attenuation/interference make things to difficult?

2. If yes, how can I attach a BNC connector to my CATV cable? I think the two do not match?

Thanks for your input. Marius

Although it is not the best practice to use CATV cable for composite video, you should get acceptable results up to at least 100ft. per run. And if the CATV cable is RG-6 (which it usually is), the larger center conductor would also help.

Plenty of manufacturers make BNC's for RG-6 so that would not be a problem although you would need a crimper capable of handling the thicker wire. They also make twist-on BNC's for RG-6 so you could use them, although I personally don't like them. With twist-on's, make certain the shield makes good contact with the connector by leaving some wrapped around the center conductor's insulation and take care to tighten them enough that they don't pull loose from the cable.

Here is a link describing the proper method to strip cable and install twist-on BNC connectors:

http://www.pelikancam.com/coaxbnc.htm

yes you can use your CAT 5 cable to send and receive the video signals to setup a cctv infrastucture, you just need A video balun which allows the video signal of a single CCTV camera to be transmitted long distances over low-cost CAT 5 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable. when you buy these baluns then you will get one transmitter and one receiver the transmeter will goes at camera side and the receiver will goes at DVR side.

yes you can use your CAT 5 cable to send and receive the video signals to setup a cctv infrastucture, you just need A video balun which allows the video signal of a single CCTV camera to be transmitted long distances over low-cost CAT 5 unshielded twisted pair (UTP) cable. when you buy these baluns then you will get one transmitter and one receiver the transmeter will goes at camera side and the receiver will goes at DVR side.

What Cat-5 cable? He said CATV cable - as in Cable TV cable. You know, RG-59 or RG-6 with copper-clad steel center conductor and aluminum shield.

This question has been asked before yet I am not certain yet about the answer:

I would like to install a CCTV security system in my house. I would like to use my existing CATV cables (I believe they are regular aluminum-based cables). There is no interfering cable signal as the comcast signal is not connected to the lines I intend to use. The distances are short, maximum 40 ft or so.

1. Will it be possible to make this happen using CATV cable or will signal attenuation/interference make things to difficult?

2. If yes, how can I attach a BNC connector to my CATV cable? I think the two do not match?

Thanks for your input. Marius

I would use a low end RF modulator (channel vision) to send the signal throughout the house. This way even if you decide to go with your cable provider you can add a low pass filter later on.

RF Modulator should be a normal way to run cctv inside CATV, if you want to use your TV set and able to watch TV programs but just set cctv as one of the channel.

For your case,

1) are you sure how the cable runs inside your house? they should be inside the wall, right?

2) the connectors are not problem, there are too many kinds of converters in the market.

If you want, PM/email me with photos, I can find out if there is suitable one.

Regards, Dove