lasallemobil

help with hardware

Hi guys,

I want to buy this item but I'm not sure if it'll work on my computer. My computer is Compaq Presario SR1135CL. The specs of my computer can be found here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00192661&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=421627

My main problem is the dvr I'm buying says I need to have an intel cpu, but my computer has an AMD one. Does that really matter? Isn't it enough that I have windows?

THank you for your answers.

I can't speak for that one you're looking at, but I used to build my own DVRs, and I learned early on that I needed an Intel processor. AMD chips would crash sporadically, it depends on how the code was written in the DVR software.

Now, that was years ago and maybe things at AMD have gotten better, but it has been my experience to stick with Intel.

Good luck!

What do you mean, a "good CCTV"?

You won't find any decent packages of 4 cameras and a 4 channel recorder for that much if that's what your asking...

What are you planning to record? What is the system for?

Why do you think you want wireless? I guarantee ANY wireless product within your budget you will not be happy with.

Here's the cheapest system that I would recommend.... I've never worked with AMD anything but I'm pretty sure this DVR capture card would work in your PC. As long as you have a spare PCI slot.

1 of these: http://www.avermedia-usa.com/surveillance/productdetail.aspx?id=15

4 of these: http://cctvco.com/SpecSheets/SPECBC597_111907.pdf

plus cabling and a 4 channel power supply. anything over 1A total will do.

Retail all that should run about $550-$650.

Hi bpzle,

new buyer, unhappy reading about geovision, glad to read your reply. Checked out Avermedia NV6480EXP-16CH Card, sounds great. Any thoughts on dome cameras to match, or ptz to match? limited budget but willing to spend 100.00 per dome/ ?? for ptz. Thanks if you are able to help!

Indoor or outdoor? What's the lighting like? Does the lighting change with the time of day? What is the distance to target for the PTZ? WHAT will be the target? What is your purpose for the system? What are your expectations? What is your budget?

indoor, not more than 35 feet, security cameras for a recording studio lighting is plentiful, lots of 50 watt gui10 bulbs, but dimable, so low light is good possibility. Trying to keep from losing mics and equipment after late night sessions. watching a lobby, recording rooms, control room, equipment cabinets, using a 16 ch pc based card. but planning to use only 9, remote viewing necessary, as close to tv quality as possible, best I can do for about $100.00 per camera; may go double for one ptz cam, mostly dome will do, but one bullet style will be necessary. Thank you so much.

Thanks for the analysis, I know it sounds complicated, but basically the place is windowless and can have zero light unless someone turns on the lights. I am really hoping not to waste money on cameras that won't work with that board. Greatly appreciate the advice.

So your willing to spend $100 per camera, and double that for a PTZ? Meaning you want to spend $200 for a PTZ? Well... hate to break it to you but I wouldn't spend less than $600 on a PTZ. But, the good news I wouldn't recommend a PTZ anyway. You've got better things to do than to sit there zooming around all the time. It would be better to just spend the money on more cameras, so you can just set the system up and forget about it. That way everything is covered and your guaranteed to get the footage you need.

OK, Hi bpzle, what you said makes perfect sense, not to mention my complete goof on the price of a ptz camera. That still leaves me wondering about what cameras to buy. Any recommendations?

:shock: OK, Hi bpzle, what you said makes perfect sense, not to mention my complete goof on the price of a ptz camera. That still leaves me wondering about what cameras to buy. Any recommendations?

Sorry for the delay.

These are good. Come with a fixed, wide angle lens. http://cctvco.com/SpecSheets/ECL-5H.pdf

These are good too... Come with an adjustable lens for lots of install options. http://cctvco.com/ECL-5HA_security_camera.html

We've had good luck (and so have many others on the forum) with Eclipse products at eclipsecctv.com . Unfortunately they don't sell to end users though. Only authorized dealers such as myself. What area are you in? I'm sure there's a dealer close to you that would be more than happy to sell you just the equipment for a DIY project. If not, take a look at their site and I'd be more than happy to provide prices for whatever your interested in.

PM me though... against forum rules to post prices.

Whatever you get, I'd try to stay away with IR cameras AKA "night vision" unless you absolutely need it. IR cams have their place in extremely low light or no light environments, but having real white light is always better. IRs tends to wash things out and screw up the tones in the picture.

IRs are also a popular "work around" in cheap cameras to see in low light. A good quality camera won't need IR to see in low light and provide a much clearer picture. Given the environment you described, I think just a good camera without IR will do just fine.

8) Hi bpzle,

new buyer, unhappy reading about geovision, glad to read your reply. Checked out Avermedia NV6480EXP-16CH Card, sounds great. Any thoughts on dome cameras to match, or ptz to match? limited budget but willing to spend 100.00 per dome/ ?? for ptz. Thanks if you are able to help!

BTW- good choice on the card. I'm a big fan of Aver's stuff, especially for the price. Hard to beat.

Greetings BPZLE, Thank you many times over for the great info. I contacted a local wholesaler and one or two of the local installers will give me a call. You did me a great favor. If you happen to be in the Phoenix area, give me a call. [mod edit phone no removed]. With that card, I need 8 cameras and a power supply. Already have the PC.

BTW- you may want to edit your last post and remove your number. This is a public forum and you might start getting phone calls from crazies.