CODE4

Install outdoor bullet camera, stucco & soffit.

How are you guys installing the ethernet/power cables to various IP cameras? After inspecting the back plate and compression fitting on the TCM-1231 I thought the compression fitting would supposedly tighten around existing cables run through the back cover. Obviously that was not going to happen as the hole is just big enough to pass an ethernet cable through.

I measured the opening of the rubber grommet and it is pretty close to 0.5". Is it expected that an installer run a flexible conduit to house the cable(s)? If that is the case my train of thought is to run a 12" length of conduit, aluminum or non metallic, as available from Home Depot to another compression fitting assembled on my roof soffit to tidy it up.

Suggestions or comments on this?

135521_1.jpg

135521_2.jpg

I have found this item with the help of a vendor - RJ45-ECS by Laird. It passes the ethernet connection through a weather tight connection. Negates the need for using a conduit in applications where it is not practical. Any experiences with this item in installs?

135525_1.jpg

Personally, I'd push the bare end of a Cat5 cable through, THEN terminate it, rather than trying to fit the connector through...

Looks like that hole is a standard 1/2" fitting... so you could use LiquidTite or ENT (electrical non-metallic tubing) to run into the housing, to maintain some flex.

That's what I do: push the CAT5 through the compression fitting, terminate, then after I'm all done, put clear silicone caulk in the fitting. Has proven plenty watertight in our SW Florida rainstorms.

Kevin

That's what I do: push the CAT5 through the compression fitting, terminate, then after I'm all done, put clear silicone caulk in the fitting. Has proven plenty watertight in our SW Florida rainstorms.

Kevin

Great to hear - In Tampa here and will plan on sealing that area with silicone.

Kevin

Great to hear - In Tampa here and will plan on sealing that area with silicone.

I used the gray PVC pipe from home depot to cover up the cabling to protect from weather and sun. I then painted the pipe the same color as the stucco.

On the soffit end, I just butted the PVC to the soffit and used the foam insulation in a can to seal the hole in the soffit, textured it, and painted. My soffits are a little bit different in that they are unvented. Instead, they are hardiboard with stucco over it, so it's pretty easy to attach things to it.

I'm about 80 miles south of you on the Cape Haze peninsula. Good luck with your install.

Kevin