lindsayspop

Firmware upgrade sources??

I had a security camera system installed recently but can't manipulate the menu from either my computer console at home or through the DX Client Netviewer connection. The version of Netviewer Client software is 2.7.1 but the Firmware is version 2.6.8. A friend indicates I need a firmware upgrade. Is there a way to purchase other software from sources that will give me full functionality if I can't find the current software source? The unit that was installed eludes manufacturer identification but the documentation that came with it says R901N and the name on the case is CIB -- an obvious pass through distributor for Chinese made goods. The guy who installed it can't get any help from the distributor he bought the hardware through.

Thanks,

Phil

I'd be surprised if the software version *must* match the firmware on the DVR. Software updates tend to come regularly... firmware, usually only to address bug fixes and major feature upgrades (speaking generally for almost all types of upgradeable hardware, not just DVRs).

Of course, this is the difference between cheap offshore multi-branded junk, and buying professional gear from a reputable vendor...

Yeah, it is clearly a no-name import of dubious quality. My niece owns the company that installed but does mostly security systems -- motion detectors, door contacts, etc so I should have asked more questions before buying the system. Anyway, does anyone think there is a way to different software that would allow me to manipulate the controls or am I doomed to a "view only" future?

Yeah, it is clearly a no-name import of dubious quality. My niece owns the company that installed but does mostly security systems -- motion detectors, door contacts, etc so I should have asked more questions before buying the system. Anyway, does anyone think there is a way to different software that would allow me to manipulate the controls or am I doomed to a "view only" future?

Could you give a few more details on how you're trying to connect both from home and remotely? Those are 2 very different things. I assume at home you have a "router" (which is actually a gateway) either one you bought or one your ISP gave you. Even inside your own small network the IP address, gateway, subnet mask and port must be correct.

Away from home you'll need to forward the port/s to the ip address of the device AND use some sort of tunneling client to establish a connection to the device through the router. Putty is perfect for this and free. I don't know how much networking experience you have, but this is all actually pretty simple. I've had to wrestle with this with cheap dodgy remote apps a few times and did eventually get things working.