Trent

IR Cameras

What is the deal with cameras that claim "IR"?

To me IR stands for infrared which I have always taken to be where an objects heat is used to distinguish it from another.

But I see "IR" camers have nothing but a ring of LED's around the lens.

What gives?

IR = Infrared ...

produces light at a level that only cameras within the IR Filter's range can see. Some are more responsive to IR and its different ranges, than others. Most color cameras will not pickup IR, especially if it has a set or auto IR Cut filter for color mode.

Basically it is invisible or near invisible light, depending on the filter used.

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/infrared.asp

2 Types or Night Vision Technologies are: ActiveIR And Thermal IR

Below is from Extreme CCTV on ActiveIR:

http://www.extremecctv.com/Infrared/ThermalIR-vs-ActiveIR_v6.pdf

Active-IR technology is proven yet relatively new and is advancing rapidly in terms of effectiveness, systems integration and lower cost.

Active-IR devices illuminate target scenes at wavelengths that are invisible to the human eye.

Active-IR illuminators eliminate shadows, and reveal identifying lettering, numbers and objects to complement or outperform ICCDs (intensified cameras).

Active-IR illuminators are now available in several technology types:

a. Bulb type: 110 Volt high voltage or 28 Volt low voltage types. (eg. Extreme CCTV UF500)

b. LED type: Regular or Supercharge type (eg. Extreme CCTV SuperLEDâ„¢)

c. Laser type: Continuous mode or Pulse range-gated mode (eg. DALIS range gated model called the ATV2000i by Obzerv)

Active-IR LED illumination can be continuously pulsed for fast shutter

speed synchronization with cameras for high-speed video capture. This

technique is ideal for reading license plates of vehicles.

Active-IR illuminators are available in a range of wavelengths: 730nm, 850nm, 950nm, etc.

Intelligent Scene Analysis software operates better under Active-IR, especially in dark night-time scenes.

Active-IR technology can see through windows and is useful for DEA and other law enforcement operatives.

Active-IR technology allows flash pulse lighting for covert surveillance similar to timed invisible “flashâ€