paw

Home CCTV bullet camera - connection question

I have been looking for a low priced CCTV camera to install on a vertical wall outside my house. I spotted this camera and it looks pretty good to me (then again, it might just be good advertising). As long as the picture is reasonable and it acts as a deterrent, I will be happy. It is not a wireless camera.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/I-P-Camera-2-Mega-Pixel-Full-HD-IP66-Onvif-Real-Time-H-264-P2P-Motion-Detection-/301199716856?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I don't really want to view the CCTV camera over the internet, all I want to do is attach it to a spare laptop that I have, install some CCTV software, switch it on and begin recording on the 250GB hard disk. When full, overwrite the oldest recordings. The laptop would be within 1 metre of where I would put the CCTV on the outside wall so it would be very convienient, and I would leave the laptop switched on all the time.

The question is, can I connect the CCTV camera directly to the laptop using a ethernet cable rather than attaching it to a router that in my case, is a long way away from the installation point and would require a cable going over walls, wooden floors etc. If I could connect it directly to my spare laptop, I could install something like I-Spy (freeware), or maybe use the software that comes with the camera to record images ?

Any help would be useful before I buy one of the camera's.

Thanks

Bullet Security Cameras are small Video Cameras that are shaped like a rifle bullet. These cameras are typically the width of a cigar, but they are shorter. Infrared Bullet Cameras are larger in diameter than standard bullet cameras. Bullet Cameras easily mount on ceilings or walls. The main advantage of Bullet Cameras is their low cost and small size. Although they have a low cost and are very small, they still provide excellent Picture Quality and Video Recording. You don't need to worry for the connection because they will do connection in what ever manner you want to connect it. Actually along with this they will provide one CD, just simply you need to install and and select the Camera IP. While doing this you can connect quite easily.