beefio

DVR doesn't recognise HDD

Hi

I brought a cheap Sannce DRV from Amazon along with a Western Digital media hard drive and had it running for about a year with no issues, then one day the HDD was no longer recognised by the DRV, suspecting the drive had failed I contacted WD and they replaced it under warranty. When the new drive arrived I set it up as NTSF and formatted it however the HDD still isn't recognised. Suspecting that I may have a faulty DRV I brought a new one from Amazon (which I can return free of charge is not needed) however it still does not recognise the HDD, however the HDD is recognised by my PC therefore I can not work out what the issue is...

Can anyone help me with this?

You don't have to format it using your PC.

Use the DVR to format it.

Also, although the DVR may support most HDD, it doesn't mean it support ALL. There might be some HDD with compatibility issues.

You may wish to consult the DVR menu on which particular brand/model it support. If it's not there, it might not be compatible.

Check that that WD replaced the same model of HDD, not just the same size.

Sometimes they don't have same exact model, so they replace with the later iteration of the model. But it's under their T&C of RMA, so i don't think you have any recourse there.

You purchased the DVR last year, so it doesn't seems like you have the case of SATA 1/2/3 compatibility issues. If you had purchased it around 5/6 years back where there's no sata 2/3, you might encounter issues trying to replace a faulty hdd with a new hdd purchase recently.

Also, sometimes it might be the connecting cables that's faulty, or even the power supply to the DVR (or in some DVR, the power regulator board in the DVR) that's faulty.

Thanks for the reply.

I need the DRV to recognise the HDD before I can use the DVR to format the HDD...

The DVR menu doesn't state which particular brand/model it supports. Although the manufacturer recommended WD...

I can't check that WD replaced it with the same model of HDD as I don't know what the exact model of the original HDD was. So this could be the issue, however I'd be surprised if a slight variation would mean it doesn't work, must be something

though...

I don't think the fault lies with the DRV/cables as I have tried the HDD with my old DVR and a brand new one, so I'd have to be extremely unlucky to have 2 faulty DVR's.

Could it

I need the DRV to recognise the HDD before I can use the DVR to format the HDD...

Formatting on windows won't help.

The DVR will detect the HDD (if it's supported) and format it in it's own format (most DVR format in Ext2/3/4 format, not FAT32/FAT/NTFS, etc).

You'll need to let the DVR format for it's own filesystem.

If it can't detect, then either there's a compatibility issue or there's a faulty component somewhere.

Only just sorted this...haha it was the power supply all along, I must have used the wrong one by accident so the original HDD was fine as is the warranty replacement and the new one I purchased, which luckily I can return to Amazon!