Sign in to follow this  
versed

Static IP addresses

I've got a dedicated PC running Geovision GV-NVR and currently using 4 GV IP cameras. In setting the system up I let the router DHCP select IP addresses for the computer and all cameras. Things seem to be working pretty good.

In doing some research it looks like it might be better to assign the PC and cameras static IP addresses. Is this correct? Of what advantage would it be?

I've got a dedicated PC running Geovision GV-NVR and currently using 4 GV IP cameras. In setting the system up I let the router DHCP select IP addresses for the computer and all cameras. Things seem to be working pretty good.

In doing some research it looks like it might be better to assign the PC and cameras static IP addresses. Is this correct? Of what advantage would it be?

It doesn't sound like DHCP is causing you any issues but where static IP addresses are useful is for things like browser access and port forwarding. A static IP address guarantees that the camera is always in the same place when you go looking for it.

If possible use dhcp reservation, it avoids having to find the ending of your pool and avoids having to set your nvr/ip cameras to static IP.

In the short term static IP is ok, but it has its drawbacks in the fact you then have to manage your IP manually and keep track of all of your static ip addresses yourself.

Another drawback most people do not think about (esp with IP cameras) is that if you change your router you have to change all of your static IP's back to dhcp otherwise. your devices probably will not be found on the network.

There is a way to recover them in case your router suddenly fails this is where you hook each camera a laptop with an ethernet port open the EWS of the camera and change it back to DHCP.

Soooo unless you want to do all of that in case something happens, I recommend taking the few extra minutes and trying to perform DHCP reservation (Most new routers now can do it).

All of this is assuming you do not have an NVR which does its own dhcp if plugged directly into it (Lorex, Flir and I know for sure Dahula NVR's do this).

If possible use dhcp reservation, it avoids having to find the ending of your pool and avoids having to set your nvr/ip cameras to static IP.

In the short term static IP is ok, but it has its drawbacks in the fact you then have to manage your IP manually and keep track of all of your static ip addresses yourself.

Another drawback most people do not think about (esp with IP cameras) is that if you change your router you have to change all of your static IP's back to dhcp otherwise. your devices probably will not be found on the network.

There is a way to recover them in case your router suddenly fails this is where you hook each camera a laptop with an ethernet port open the EWS of the camera and change it back to DHCP.

Soooo unless you want to do all of that in case something happens, I recommend taking the few extra minutes and trying to perform DHCP reservation (Most new routers now can do it).

All of this is assuming you do not have an NVR which does its own dhcp if plugged directly into it (Lorex, Flir and I know for sure Dahula NVR's do this).

As long as the new router is on the same subnet as the old router (and you can always set it), the new cameras will reconnect to the new router...in fact, if you use address outside your dhcp range, you wont have to do any extra setup as you would with dhcp reservation where if you replace the router you need to set the reservation again.