I have installed a wireless 3 cell ip camera system.I am haveing no luck in controlling my ptz'z.The system is verint but the ptz's are American dynamics.I have tried every protoco setup on the dvr and ptz with no luck .i attached a Greenlee Multi meter to the supposed rs 485 data output and had 3l9 on dc and 7.7 on ac.While watching the voltages and trying to move the Ptz i had no change in voltages on ac or dc side .Was this a good way to chech data output of dvr.

P.S. Already spent many hours on phone with tech support with no help .

Can someone in here help me?

You generally have to have four things right for PTZ control to work:

1. PTZ protocol. If your camera and controller aren't the same brand, Pelco D or P are as close to a "universal" protocol as you'll find.

2. Comm parameters. Not just baud rate, but data bit/stop bit/parity (usually 8N1... but not always!)

3. Correct wiring. TX/TD/SD on the controller, RX/RD on the camera, and make sure the polarity is correct! RS-422 connections are often labeled "A" and "B" rather than "-" and "+" - make sure they're the right way around ("B" is generally "+"). Sometimes it helps to hot-swap the wiring - connect it one way, power everything up, then switch the polarity *without* powering off!

4. Camera ID. Often overlooked - your controller must be set to the same ID or address as the camera.

Most cameras will display protocol, comm info, and ID/address onscreen when you power them up.

For testing that your controller is sending data, try hooking it up to a serial port on your computer (use a serial-to-USB adapter if necessary), then fire up a terminal app (HyperTerm or PuTTY), point it to that port with the same comm settings, and put the connection "online". You should see data streaming in as you move the controller around.

Conversely, you can use software like PTZ Controller (www.serialporttool.com) to attempt to control the PTZ, to confirm whether your controller is the problem.

Hi,

Has anybody been able to run more than 1 camera on Serial Port Tool's PTZ controller???

I am trying to get 2 cams on 2 different Coms (1 & 3).

Both Cams work and both Com ports work. Somehow I can't get the settings to save or assign?? The Cams are the same so the only parameter I am changing is the Com Port. When I highlight Cam 001 and make the settings it works great. I assume from their instructions that I would highlight Cam 002 and make the settings for Cam 2 which is Com Port 3. All this does is change the Com Port setting literally (globally). When I go back to Cam 001 the Com Port is 3. The settings aren't taking affect.

I can't find anything in their literature about this. When I e-mail support I get dumb responses like check the BAUD rate even though I tell them the Cams work etc. Anybody?? Must be simple...

Have you set the dip switches so cam 1 has address 1 and cam two has address two? Refer to the user manual where the switches are, I have opened four similar models of ptz and they are all at different spots