Server upgrade postponed

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: An Open Letter to Exacq
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:17 pm 
DIY'er

Thanks for taking my call regarding the ExacqVision implementation of time zone. As you know, the Exacq server sets all the cameras to the wrong time and time zone. Apparently, the server uses this technique so that a time zone offset does not have to be used when performing searches. This works fine if the cameras are treated as dumb devices, but causes problems for the more advanced IP cameras that have a complete embedded OS. Features like on-camera scheduled alarms and ftp file naming based on date/time don't function correctly, to name just a couple.

In addition, this is not ONVIF compliant. Given that Exacq is an ONVIF member with intentions of someday releasing an ONVIF compliant server, I'm hopeful that this issue will rise in priority and be addressed sooner rather than later.

Thanks for listening. If you have any questions or need additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Christopher

Post subject: Re: An Open Letter to Exacq
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 pm 
Integrator

Who did you talk to?

ICT ProtegeGX Certified

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:31 pm 
DIY'er

thewireguys wrote:
Who did you talk to?

Someone in tech support, but I don't recall the name. He said there will be an engineering meeting on Monday and he would bring it up then. I talked to someone else about a month ago. Both were very polite and listened to my input, but I don't think either were particularly convinced of my position. Their basic position is the exacqVision server is the center of the universe, and there is no need for any of the attached devices to know the correct time. The exacq developers have implemented a kludge whereby they don't have to add a time zone offset when doing searches. When I point out that features like on-camera alarms and ftp file naming do not work correctly, their response is that they don't claim that any of that will work, so you get what you get.

The good news is that exacq is a ONVIF member and have plans to release an ONVIF compliant server. Then they will have to address this issue since the current implementation is not ONVIF compliant. Of course, there's no schedule on when that might happen, but I say, why wait? The current implementation is a kludge; just fix it. We'll see.

Best,
Christopher

Last edited by cglaeser on Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm 

cglaeser wrote:
but I say, why wait?

they are probably busy driving that porshe you paid for :D

Can you not just set the time zone manually?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm 
DIY'er

rory wrote:
Can you not just set the time zone manually?

Yes you can, and I do, but this tedious process is required every time the server is restarted. It's a royal pain.

The exacq support technician suggested that if I want to use on-camera scheduling, just add/subtract the time zone offset. In other words, if I want a motion alarm between 8 am and 5 pm, just shift that schedule by the GMT time zone. Ugh!!! Maybe I should just set all the devices in my house - phones, computers, watches, printers, TVs, thermostat, coffee pot - to GMT 0 and do the math in my head when I want to know what time it is in California.

Or, I could just move to some place in the GMT 0 time zone. That's the only region on the planet where the exacqVision server works correctly. :)

Best,
Christopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:35 pm 

what if you just changed the computer time zone?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:40 pm 
DIY'er

rory wrote:
what if you just changed the computer time zone?

Unfortunately, the exacqVision server sets all the cameras to GMT 0 on restart, independent of anything else.

I just checked the world time clock. Reykjavik, Iceland is one of the few cities on the planet that is GMT 0 year round. Moving seems a bit drastic, but it would solve the problem. :)

Best,
Christopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:47 pm 

LOL .. no moving is not a good idea ..
what about a script to change it? Are there any INI files or Reg settings or you think maybe its fixed in the software?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:36 pm 
DIY'er

rory wrote:
Are there any INI files or Reg settings or you think maybe its fixed in the software?

I expect it is done in the application code. They probably just access the configuration spec for each camera, and then use that info to set the time zone to 0.

Best,
Christopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:45 pm 

cglaeser wrote:
I expect it is done in the application code. They probably just access the configuration spec for each camera, and then use that info to set the time zone to 0.

Best,
Christopher

ok then .. maybe run a script with a delay ... something that connects to them and tells them to set the time zone back? I dont know what cameras you are connecting to so cant help there. I think axis has querystring commands but cant say for sure, some other IP cameras might have that also. Yeah I know, this should be done in their code, why they dont just use the user's timezone, or give the user the option to set it?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm 
DIY'er

rory wrote:
I dont know what cameras you are connecting to so cant help there.

Panasonic 502, Axis 223M, and Axis 207MW. Planning to add Axis video server with Samsung PTZ.

Quote:
or give the user the option to set it?

Yeah, an option to leave their mitts off would be helpful. I'll call them next week and see if there was any progress at the Monday engineering meeting.

I should attach my dad's VCR to the exacqVision server. It's always blinking blue 00:00:00. :)

Best,
Christopher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm 
Integrator

Just noticed that after updating, in the setup menu of the Exacq, there is an override button for camera time server, with a field to point to the time server you want.

Haven't tested it, but looks like what you were asking for....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:31 pm 
DIY'er

hardwired wrote:
Just noticed that after updating, in the setup menu of the Exacq, there is an override button for camera time server, with a field to point to the time server you want.

Haven't tested it, but looks like what you were asking for....

I have tested this and it does allow you to select the NTP server of your choice, but the time zone is still set to GMT 0 each time the server is restarted. They need an option to set both the NTP server AND the time zone.

Best,
Christopher

Edit: Or, an option to leave the time zone alone would also work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 pm 
DIY'er

I called Exacq this morning to check on the status of the timezone issue. They are working with a partial staff today due to the snow storm. The fellow who answered the phone in tech support said that they had discussed the problems relating to timezone, but was not aware if any decision had been reached. I'll call again next week.

Best,
Christopher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:33 pm 

cglaeser wrote:
I just checked the world time clock. Reykjavik, Iceland is one of the few cities on the planet that is GMT 0 year round. Moving seems a bit drastic, but it would solve the problem. :)

Best,
Christopher

You'll love Iceland!

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next