chgruver

Playing .h264 videos

I have a security camera system that when I copy the video from the DVR to a DVD, for say giving it to the Police, it puts the video in a .h264 format, this is not the .264 that had a solution previously shared or the .h.264 that many of the converters will work with. I was wondering is anyone has experience converting this format so that it can be viewed. I had gotten this system off of I believe cctvcloseouts.com and it shows the brand to be Falco, the system was purchased about 4-5 years ago. Any advice will be helpful. The reason why I am looking into this now is that a month ago where I use the system had a break in and when we tried to give a DVD to the police it was unusable, so I tried to make a DVD of some more recent footage so we will know what to do for future reference and all I have is a DVD full of .h264 files and no way to view them or convert them.

They provide lifetime free tech support don't they? Call them up and ask them. Sounds like a tech support issue to me. Will VLC play the files? Did you try uploading one to YouTube?

MKVToolNix - http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

Download and install the Windows installer here: http://www.downloadbestsoft.com/MKVToolNix.html

Once installed open MKVmerger.gui

On the first screen click "add" and locate your .h264 file. Then click "Start Muxing". It will then show another window with a progress bar and will probably display an error message. Ignore this, click "OK" and then locate the folder with your .h264 file in it. You'll now see another file with the same name called .mkv. Double click that and it will open in Windows Media Player.

I've also noticed that if you rename the file extension form .mkv to .avi the file still plays. There's plenty more settings in the program but as I've not needed to use them so far I haven't really had a play around with it.