toob

Camera selection help

Hi

I have an older style 4CH AlienHero (non HD model) DVR with BNC connectors. Both the manual and their support cannot tell me what the specification for the cameras to be used with this device is.

This is the on-line page to my DVR: http://www.aliendvr.com/hero/alienHero_spec.html#

My requirement is for wired outdoor use, with IR, compact size, BNC + 12v power.

In their manual they list 2 cameras NightDevil cam220 and Cub PTZ, however we have 2 cameras already connected which are neither of these and I cannot identify the specification of the existing cams as they have no markings.

Can I fit any camera with BNC video connector with a 12dv power adapter and if not what should I be looking for?

I read that the main types are CVI, TVI, AHD, IP. I suspect IP is out of the question as its digital and uses cat5?

So can I use any CVI, TVI, AHD camera or or only one type?

Also does the number of lines TVL matter, or can I simply choose the one with the greatest value for better picture quality?

Hope someone can help, it does seem very confusing to me.

Hi. The only camera that will work is a standard D1 and any brand will do so long as it's PAL format.

But you are going to find that buying the new multi format cameras are cheaper and gives you the option to use any recorder at a later stage.

Multi camera is a camera that has 1080p CVI TVI AHD and 960 on one output.

Thanks,

D1 in Europe is 720 x 576 (PAL) I believe, so does this mean I should be looking for a cameras that are 720TVL? Or can I fit other TVL values an if so what would be the effect?

Thanks,

D1 in Europe is 720 x 576 (PAL) I believe, so does this mean I should be looking for a cameras that are 720TVL? Or can I fit other TVL values an if so what would be the effect?

Yes 720 is fine ... But before you buy anything post what you find first and we will see if ok.