Sign in to follow this  
gfansher

Day image great, night vision horrible

So, i've been skimming through some of the posts about bad night vision image issues and i keep seeing images and thinking, "that actually looks pretty good!". I have a Swann NVR setup and none of my cameras have decent night vision. In fact, i don't think i could identify someone any better than "he/she was a human that's between 5'2 and 7'3, 100-300 lbs."....it's absolutely horrible. I've tried tinkering with different settings and lowering brightness & contrast help about 2%. It looks the same live as it does when reviewing the recording too. Images attached....any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

29236535_nighttime.jpg.518ebb238cd866c175912b50737ced5b.jpg

Daytime.jpg.2949acfcd4d46adbf488ab5625ce42e3.jpg

Besides the obvious issues with entry level cameras your main issue here is the white light source in the capture area. You want the illumination but NOT the light source in the picture.

I knew i should have mentioned that but, the other 3 cameras don't have a light source near them. In fact, the camera in the backyard has close to zero light....and all of them have that same snowy look. I know these aren't high dollar cameras but Swann is a respectable entry level brand....the grainy night vision is basically useless on these though. Do cameras lose "something" over time? I feel like it has gotten bad over time, that it wasn't always like this. Any other suggestions? Or do i ditch this for something new? And if i replace, is there anything out there that's budget friendly, maybe less features, but with decent nigh vision? Thanks for the reply

The daytime image is fine for me, i don't need anything better as i believe it provides enough clarity to see anything that may happen in daylight hours (probably nothing!). I'd just like to have the night images to not have any snow. I'd imagine if it was interference of some sort, it would effect the day time imaging as well....yes?

Even the cheapest scabbiest camera will give a passable picture in daylight. Its no light & low light that really sort them out. The "snowy" effect your getting is noise due to the AGC (automatic gain control) winding itself up trying to get an image in adverse light conditions.

Even the cheapest scabbiest camera will give a passable picture in daylight. Its no light & low light that really sort them out. The "snowy" effect your getting is noise due to the AGC (automatic gain control) winding itself up trying to get an image in adverse light conditions.

So, is there a recommendation for something on the lower end of the "cameras that have good night vision imaging" spectrum? I guess that's what i'm looking for at this point.

Thanks!

So, is there a recommendation for something on the lower end of the "cameras that have good night vision imaging" spectrum? I guess that's what i'm looking for at this point.

Thanks!

Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision ultra lowlight cameras.