View unanswered posts | View active topics

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Costco Q-See QT526 (QT526-5) with 8 QM6006B cameras thou
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 pm 

My Q-See died... :cry:

Nothing will appear on the connected monitor, same for the LAN and online.

It receives power because the fan is spinning. The HDD is spinning too.

Just contacted Q-See. Will see how long will take to hear from them.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 pm 

Ouy- sorry to hear that.

:(

You restarted the dvr and nothing?

They usually get back to you via email in a day. But if you need to go through the RMA process- my guess is 3- 4 weeks down time waiting for a replacement. Let us know, and good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 pm 

shockwave199 wrote:
Ouy- sorry to hear that.

Ditto the sentiment.

Although the hard drive appears to be spinning, it could be a hard drive issue nonetheless. Do you have a hard drive that you can install temporarily to see if that's possibly the issue?

Just want to mention that you may have voided the warranty by replacing the fan with a slower one (which you can always change back) and cutting "the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill." I'm just wondering if you need to RMA the DVR if they'll do anything once they see that modification.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:44 pm 

groovyman wrote:
shockwave199 wrote:
Ouy- sorry to hear that.

Ditto the sentiment.

Although the hard drive appears to be spinning, it could be a hard drive issue nonetheless. Do you have a hard drive that you can install temporarily to see if that's possibly the issue?

Just want to mention that you may have voided the warranty by replacing the fan with a slower one (which you can always change back) and cutting "the fan grill out of the DVR case so the air will not be pushed through that grill." I'm just wondering if you need to RMA the DVR if they'll do anything once they see that modification.

Forgot about that. My guess is you're SOL with warranty service because of that. Good idea to try a different hard drive if you want to salvage the dvr.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:49 pm 

remove drive.
it should work without it.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:41 pm 

I removed the HDD (that's what the customer service representative recommended too), no changes.

I actually put the original fan back shortly after cutting the grill out because I realized that most of the noise was coming from the grill, not the fan

Cutting the fan grill should not affect the warranty since this modification can't damage the DVR.

I can always take it back to costco if they refuse to fix it.

Now they sent me a firmware update that I should put on a USB, connect it to DVR, then turn the power on. This should flash the firmware automatically.

.. tried, no changes.

Tried twice, once with the HDD connected and once without HDD.

Noticed one of the heatsinks on the motherboard is very hot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:40 pm 

DVR was sent for repairs at no cost (in warranty).
They take it seriously if you bought it from costco (because costco has a very good return policy).

They sent me a label to ship it. From shipping day to getting it back: 2weeks.

Mother board was replaced. Now i noticed both heatsinks are hot (probably that's how it should be).

I would cut the top part of the case and install a larger computer case fan, but I don't want to do it while I'm still in the warranty period.

Got it back with HDD formatted and I had to set everything again from start.

Now I noticed one camera is dead, will RMA it. This is the second camera that goes bad from 8 in half a year.
This camera was the most exposed to the elements. In full hot GA sun all day. Not covered. Not under an eve or something. Full sun, full rain.

Last edited by Secerator on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Night pics Costco Q-See QT526
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:27 pm 

Night screen shots.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please sign-in or register to view or download.

Post subject: Re: Costco Q-See QT526 CNB24VF night
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 pm 

CNB at night.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Please sign-in or register to view or download.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:51 pm 

Thanks for the follow up and posting the screenshots.

Just an FYI. I had 2 QSee systems die this week that are out of warranty. These were purchased at the same time about 2 years ago and both exhibited the same issue within a week of each other. Essentially the dvr will not recognize the hard drive, so it stopped recording. Can still access the dvr via network or Internet and it gives no indication that anything is wrong, until you try to playback video - nothing is there. The hard drive in each system is fine though. I tested by trying to install a new hard drive in each dvr (no luck) and installing the hard drives taken from the systems in a spare (the drives work fine).

I'm not seeking help to fix the issue as the next stop for these systems is a landfill. They served their purpose for a couple of years and now it's on to something better. Just posting for information only. Reliability of these systems = not so good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 pm 

Can someone help me understand how to use the audio out of my Q-see DVR?

I'm planning to install 3 MIC's in the audio in ports.

The DVR is connected to a TV with VGA.

Can I get live audio from a MIC on the TV speakers? I can't select the audio source on the TV to be the AV-in, since the video source is the VGA.

Or it's just recorded audio that I can get from that audio out output?

Also, can you recommend an IR light that I can use separately to illuminate the back yard at night?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:56 pm 

groovyman wrote:

Just an FYI. I had 2 QSee systems die this week that are out of warranty. These were purchased at the same time about 2 years ago and both exhibited the same issue within a week of each other.
...Reliability of these systems = not so good.

At least I bought them from costco and I can return them at any time, even after 2 years. :)
These are not included in their 90 days special return policy for TVs and cameras/computers. It's on their general return policy... I think..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 pm 

Yeah, that's one thing that sets costco apart from other places. It sucks when the policy has to be utilized though. I'd much rather have something reliable (I'm sure you'll agree).

I've been working with electronic devices over many years and any device can develop issue at any time, but when the same devices develop the same issue within the same amount of time you know it's something wrong with the product.

By the way, for anyone reading this, my intent is not to bash QSee. I've been happy with the record quality of these systems (when they worked :lol: ). But, as the saying goes, you buy cheap you get cheap :wink: Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:47 pm 

I realized a week ago that my dvr is dead again.

Contacted the customer support.

If it dies one more time after this, I might take everything back to costco and get something reliable.. or see if q-see wants to solve this by offering me something that actually keeps working..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:06 pm 

The interesting thing is, buying expensive is no guarantee either when it comes to dvr's. We have an expensive one at work- it sucks balls. Not to mention, a 528 is NOT cheap in price anywhere I've looked. In my experience, whether it's a cctv dvr or a movie/tv dvr- they all tend to suck and are generally unreliable in the long run. Getting a good one, no matter by who or what quality, seems to be a matter of luck. I don't know why it's so hard to make a reliable dvr of any kind, consistently. But apparently, it is. My q-see 408 has been great, which I consider a matter of luck.

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next