Adam Daley

MultiCast - How To Use

So how do I use multicast? I have a few clients with multiple DVRs on the same network. Im testing it out with one client who has about 6-7 dvr's on one network.

I enabled multicast in the webcam settings and first tried making all the ip's the same but when i ran the multicast software it kept scrolling through all the locations. it would show the one, then change to another.

how do i get them all listed on the screen so i can put them where i want and/or display them all at once??? i couldnt find any documentation on multicast in 8.3.1 and higher, just the older version.

Did you try loading Multicast from the Geo Software CD onto your computer and running it? Seems to work better than from Live or Multiview. You may have to hit the Configure button to make sure all your hosts, IP's and ports are diplayed. If so, you can drag and drop your cameras wherever.

Installed it from GeoVision CD. I hit configure

and then all it does is lists my network card and allows me to put in 1 multicast IP and 1 port number

i have more then dvr, so how do i configure it to see all my dvrs, ive only been able to have it see the one

Did you configure the Multicast feature (select the tab) in each DVR's Webserver and select which cameras will be accessible? Also if your DVR's are not on the same net i.e 192.168.1.X within the LAN, you'll need a router that supports Multicast Pass Through.

Yes I did. The DVRs are all on the same network, i have about 5-6 of them on one network (192.168.1.201 through .207 for example)

On DVR 1 i made the multicast ip 244.1.1.2 on the 2nd 244.1.1.3 on the 3rd 244.1.1.4 etc...

Ports 8300 on all.

When i run muilticast i click configure and enter in 244.1.1.2 and port 8300

and it shows DVR #1

but how do i get the rest of the DVRs to showup? If i make them all 244.1.1.2 in their webcam settings, athen they all showup in multuicast but it keeps cycling through them all, it doesnt list them.

Set all the DVR's that you want to view to the same Multicast IP and port (use the defaults 224.1.1.2 and 8300) in their Webserver program. Ensure the IP and port match in the Multicast Viewer program. All DVR's configured should show up in the upper right box and can be expanded to show available cameras.

If you're having problems getting multiple DVR, my guess would be the router or if this site is using intelligent switches, may not be set to allow multicast broadcast. Check with their IT people.

I am the IT guy. Using a linksys router, nothing fancy.

They all show up, sorta. They keep showing up and scrolling. Like it never LISTS them it shows one location, then it switches to another and it keeps doing that for all of them. They dont list on the page its more like they keep going on top of each other in the list

What model Linksys router are you using? How about any switches?

We had the same issue at one site with 3 NVR's and resolved it after disabling the Multicast Filtering in the router and configuring our switches for Multicast to prevent Broadcast Storms from blocking the units.

Couldn't watch the video. Don't belong to facebook.

Umm i dunno your standard Linksys router... WRT54 or something, or is that the wireless model... i'll check the settings in the router about multicast and all

Its a WRT54GL - no switches. Its part of a huge wifi network really.

Cable - Linksys Router - DVR #1

Then attached to the Linksys Router is like 2-3 access points. They shoot the signal to another building.. and then it also shoots it across the water to an island where we have like 4-5 more DVRs setup, each in different places. Its part of a mesh network i guess.

Anyway the few machines on the same network on the mainland, i disabled the multicast filter, but same thing. It keeps rotating throgh all the sites, doesnt list them all

Ummmmm i believe all wireless... at least the dvr's themselves are on the same network but in different buildings, which are connected to one another by a wireless network. Same subnets/etc.. same router, just wireless not wired.

Ya think maybe the wireless devices are causing an issue with multicast?

Never tried setting up wireless multicast on a Geovision before. Sounds like it could be a configuration setting in your wireless AP's or the multicast broadcast, in addition to normal wireless activity is flooding the wireless. Any complaints about slow network operation when you fire up the multicast? Are you using 802.11b/g/h?