Sign in to follow this  
atomicbullet

Swann DVR network viewing problem

Hello all, I have acquired a Swann DVR with networking abilities but seem to have a problem getting it working over the network. At the minute i am trying to get it locally as i don't have real internet access then once i do i will move onto getting it over the web which should be fairly easy.

The DVR is SW342-LPM.

In the network settings i have made it

Static IP - 192.168.0.24

DNS - 192.168.0.1

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.1

HTTP Port - 1024

In my router i have opened up the port 1024 and forwarded it to 192.168.0.24.

When i run the DxClient on my laptop (Win7 64bit) It connects to the DVR fine, Any commands i do from the software show on my CCTV monitor but there is just a black screen on the software on my pc. I can select cameras/ play video and it all does the commands on the monitor but not on the pc.

It sounds like some kind of codec issue maybe but i am lost at what it could be and i don't have a 32bit system to try it on however this is my main laptop so need it working on here.

I have gone into internet settings and enabled the active x settings to what they should be. When i connect through internet explorer i get no active x pop up and its just a while web page however the title is DxClient Netviewer but still.. nothing.

Someone please help me!

Thanks.

If you're running Windows7 then run IE on Run As Administrator.

check version of IE. sometimes activeX is disabled in tools main menu.

hope it helps

Thanks, Running IE in admin mode and checking the settings as let the net viewer show and asked me again to connect once it ran in the browser yet there is still no video. When i click to save a screen capture of it from the plug in option it saves a blank image also. So annoying

Turns out it is my operating system that seems to be the problem. I spoke to swann and they tried to connect to the system and they could see the image fine. I have installed the k-lite codec pack, divx player, updated java, flash and still cannot see anything

I'm running a cheap Swann DVR4-2550. Their NetView stuff and IE with the plugin both seem to work fine on XP. I got it to work on a PC in Philippines (Where my wife is on vacation) on a Win 7 64-bit system using the NetView software on the CD. IE 9.0 on hers would not install the plugin no matter what I tried so no IE. Adding to trusted zone, allow unsigned activex, on and on. And that was while logged on as an administrator. I put the netview software that worked for 64 bit Win 7 Home Premium I'm using on my web space at http://www.lotsoffun.org/share/netview.exe if that will help any. I was so happy when I got it to work for the wife on the other side of the world, until I realized she can see how dirty I am getting the house now..

Thanks, Running IE in admin mode and checking the settings as let the net viewer show and asked me again to connect once it ran in the browser yet there is still no video. When i click to save a screen capture of it from the plug in option it saves a blank image also. So annoying

In general there are about a dozen settings in IE that you need to adjust to get an ActiveX plug-in based DVR viewer to work. I would assume that the Swann tech support walked you thru all that?

Having been forced to fix this sort of problem before, I have ended up simply setting up a simple Windows XP box running an old IE 6 web browser with either the UltraVNC or ThinVNC app on it in the box next to the DVR.

UltraVNC is free, and will do live video nicely on a PC, on a PC web-browser, or on a mobile client (e.g. Mocha VNC iphone app). The ThinVNC app (or even the new SplashTop app) allow client-less remote control. SplashTop even does audio. I have used UltraVNC for many years to remote view/control security DVRs of many makes/models.

Another 'fix it all costs' approach is to connect a SlingBox or Monsoon media streaming device to the DVR.