btren

Problems with remote internet access to my DVR

I'm somewhat a newbie to this. Anyhow, bought a H.264 DVR on ebay last year. Had it properly set up for remote internet access via Dvrocx.ocx ActiveX software. It worked fine until recently, when all of the sudden, I couldn't log in remotely anymore. When I tried to log in with password, it will say "Login failed!".

I had the DVR restored to it's original settings, and started again. When I'm connected with the router that is also connected to the DVR, I can access to my DVR through both LAN and Internet by typing the IP 192.168.X.X:XXXX. One strange thing I noticed, when I tried to change the settings, often a message will pop up saying "Other user configuring..." And it wouldn't let me do any modifications, and sometimes, after couple of tries, the message will disappear, and I can modify again.

What does this mean? Does it mean I got another person that is controlling all the settings? But I'm already logged in as the admin. And there is only 1 admin password in the system. Anyone would know what this message means?

More problems also found after I tried to log in remotely. I setup my hostname with a Dyndns account. Once entered the address, through dvrocx, I can get into the web application manager log in page, which requires me to log in. But when I enter the same password as before, it would say "login failed!"

Why is that using the router conncted to DVR, I could log in with ip address, but with the same password, it would not let me log in through a host address?

I'm currently using either Vista and IE8 or Windows 7 and IE9, not sure if that had any effects on anything at all. I tried with both computers, it ended with the same results. Either logged in with ip, but had a strange "Other user configuring..." message or unable to log in remotely using the ddns.

Any help here is greatly appreciated. Thx!!!

alot of DVR's will have the admin user as a reusable account, but if you are accessing the DVR on a 192.168... its on your LAN (internal network) if it isn't setup for remote access i wouldn't be worried about another user logged in. either you are logged in from a PC and logged into the DVR from the head end, which could prevent you from making changes. only thing I can think of why you are able to configure a little after is because the DVR has an auto log out feature which mean then mean you are the only one left logged in on a PC... make sense... what brand DVR is this, surely they have a tech support line would can help you understand the system.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, after seen your post, I went back into web access through local connection, without also sign into the DVR box, the "Other user configuring..." message did disappear.

But, any kind of suggestions on why I'm not able to log in through internet connection? It should be the same password and port I used to log in through LAN.

Thx!

You should only be able to log in with the LAN IP (192.168.1.xxx) on the LAN.

You have to pull up your network menu and look for the ports your dvr uses.

Login to your router and forward those ports to your DVR IP.

Then goto www.wimi.com and that is your WAN IP for remote viewing.

Let me know if you need help

You have to remember 192.168.1.x even when combined into a socket through the use of adding the port as 192.168.1.x:XXXX is still only an internal IP address. This address can not be accessed from outside of your local lan.

To access your DVR from outside of your LAN you need to correctly tell your router that when it recives an outside connection for that port number where to forward it within your LAN, also known as port forwarding.

To access it from the outside you need to find your external IP address, the IP address assigned to your router, google whatsmyip.

Now onto the problems, chances are you have a dynamic external IP address, meaning this address may change from time to time, this is where you will need to setup DDNS to keep track of your changing external IP address, I would suggest looking at something like dyndns.