Sign in to follow this  
videoblues

DVR set up for internet viewing

Hello everybody!.

I just bought a night owl home surveillance system model 8Bl81TB. I have not connectedit yet but as I was reading the instruction manual I came upon this:

5.2.7 Viewing your NightOwl DVR over the Internet (UPNP)

Now that you have set up the DVR on your local network, you will want to access your camera

from a remote location over the Internet. This DVR supports a technology called Universal

Plug and Play (UPnP). With UPNP your DVR will automatically open the necessary ports in

your router to allow remote access to your DVR. To make use of this feature your router

will also need to support UPnP. Most modern routers support this; however, check your

router manufacturer’s website just to make sure.

A. Make sure that your DVR is plugged directly into your router with an Ethernet cord.

B. Log into your DVR’s network setup: Main Menu  Network

C. Verify that the TCP/IP Type is set to DHCP.

D. Ensure UPNP is enabled and leave the default ports as:

Media Port: 9000

Web Port: 1024

Server Port: 18000 (Located in the Mobile section)

E. Your router will usually have UPNP enabled by default, but just to make sure, log into your

router to check it is (refer to manufacturer guidelines on how to do this)

F. Once both your DVR and router have UPNP enabled, you are now able to view your DVR

from any computer with high speed Internet access. To do this you need to type your

external IP address in the Internet Browser address bar followed by :1024

Note: There are 2 types of external IP addresses:

1. Static – Your external IP address will never change, even if you turn your broadband modem

off and on.

2. Dynamic – Your external IP address may be likely to change several times a week.

If you want to access your camera from outside your network and have a Dynamic IP address,

you will have to re-check your external IP address every time you connect to the internet.

My internet provider is AT@T u-verse via a gateway model NVG510. I just discovered that this gateway does not allow upnp enabling and I was wondering if there is a way to work around this problem. I want to access my surveillance cameras via internet. I also read about installing a upnp enabled router behind the NVG510. What do you suggest ?. Please try to explain as much as possible so that I can connect this system to my gateway because I'm a newbie

Thank you all for your help or suggestions

Hello videoblues

When we setup camera systems to our customers sometimes we came upon same kind of problem that you are having. We have 3-4 internet service providers in Turkey and not all of them allows uPnP. So we basicly suggest our customers to change service provider which allows uPnP since there is no chance to override that rule of provider. So my humble suggestion is if you are happy with your provider already just get a new line only for your surveillance system with uPnP allowed provider and enjoy your watching.