beanbaby

newbie needs help!

Ok So i`m pretty new to cctv and im looking for a high speed ip camera with 30x zoom.. i have seen ppl talking about hkvision and dahau, now these are pretty expensive for me... i am looking at this one

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/IP_Cameras/PTZ_IP_Cameras/Speed_Dome_IP_Camera_Ghost_-_30x_Optical_Zoom_1_4_Inch_CMOS_Sensor_PTZ_100m_Nightvision/

don't know who the manufacturer is, and its $480... i need to get some suggestions, how many megapixel is this and is this 720p?

Also is it a dumb move to get this as its not very well known?

Thank You for your help in advance!

bean

don't know who the manufacturer is, and its $480... i need to get some suggestions, how many megapixel is this and is this 720p?

It's a mystery isn't it. What does that tell you? How's the software to control that camera? Another mystery. Cheap is cheap, cheap is expensive. You either risk throwing away that 480 bucks or you put it towards a quality camera that does what it says it will do. Or in the case of your example- actually SAYS what it will do. Good luck.

any suggestions? it looks to me its a re branded hkvision am i wrong? thanks i just got 2 nvrs and 14 cameras so a bit limited on budget!

Don't be fooled by look a likes. What brand nvr and cameras have you committed to? With nvr systems, it's usually best to stick with the same brand so you know you have compatibility. If you can't afford that, than don't gamble on no names. Analog would be different and less expensive for a ptz camera, and the choices would be more flexible. Not so with nvr's. Get a compatible camera that you know will work.

i got simplymonitored from amazon, i don't really mind if it is not compatible with the nvr since it needs their firmware and i am just looking for monitor it and play with the zoom.

any suggestions? it looks to me its a re branded hkvision am i wrong? thanks i just got 2 nvrs and 14 cameras so a bit limited on budget!

Not a chance, that is not a rebranded Hikvision.

Don't buy from Chinavasion. I hear so many people getting burned.

If the name doesn't turn you off to begin with.

Consider this:

A PTZ is:

1. Outdoors

2. 24/7/365 operation

3. Motorized

4. Tours and constant moving parts

Do you think for $450 you can get something that will last? Most smaller PTZ manufacturers only do 6 month warranties because of PTZs on tour.

After centuries of selling, people still don't get if it is too good to be true, then it probably is not. You do pay more in the long run. If you spend hours configuring and/or repairing, your time is worth something so where is the value.

I would buy a used Pelco Spectra off Ebay before buying this one!

Where are you from OP? I wouldn't buy the same camera I linked to from China to save 500 bucks, if you're in the states. You could blow that savings in return shipping if there's a problem. It's really best to buy from a vendor that stocks them in the states. I'm not pushing SCK- that camera can be had elsewhere from other great vendors in the states.

About PTZ's, I agree with Varascope to a certain extent. The more you work a ptz the more chance you have of it failing over time. For commercial installs, that's certainly valid. For residential though, it's not always a given you have the thing touring every second of it's life. I've had my 500 dollar hong kong ptz from ebay going on three years now. It's still doing very well. Sometimes I tour, sometimes I put it in auto tracking mode, sometimes I use the IR and sometimes I don't. I've mentioned before that for me it's not about constant movement- it's about the ability to change positions and focal range when I need to. I have two presets that I monitor at different times a day. I schedule the camera to switch between the two each day. That's not a heck of a lot of movement. It's gets the biggest workout when I'm at it and noodling with it or I really do put it in a tour or scan for a while. But that dahua there is a beast. I use the analog version at work. It's heavy- it's a tank. And it's a quality camera- love the thing. But I wouldn't buy from China just to save some money, but that's me.

i`m from Pakistan, usually when i need quality i get my stuff from the U.S even though my last nvr and cameras are chinese, getting it from a U.S vendor ensured quality and support, and happy with my purchase, however this dome is just some thing not in budget , i just want one to monitor with it some times. i might as well get dahua its for $1000 plus shipping. i need to figure a way to make an escrow payment though.

Think hard about whether you really need a ptz at all. You can get a number of fixed cameras to do the same or better job of it, allowing for an increased area of full time coverage. Good luck.

already have 7 cameras per location ... need a zooming toy!!! looking seriously into dahau i don't know if they are rebranded in the U.S?