RORO

Ip newbie remote monitor questions

Hi guys new to the whole Ip cctv thing but have been working in security for the last 3 years primiarly with honeywells max plarform.

Firstly I have a customer who wants to remotely monitor his Cattle (it's calving season). He is gona connect into a neighbours router approx 300meters away form his barn.

I was looking at installing two AXIS 221 cameras and powering them up locally.

Q1. Will I be able to use cat5e or cat6 across 300Meters will this distance be an issue? Fibre isn't really a runner due to costs.

Q2. Do I or Don't need a static IP ( have looked up various sites that says i don't but my supplier says I do) If I have a dynamic ip will it work regardless of it being public/private?

Q3. The AXIS 221 supports Dynamic DNS but does my router need to support DDNS as well? If so could ye guys recommend a router.

Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Q1

some systems can do 300m but your pushing it [100m is the limit] try it out you never know !. [probably will work if you use good quality CAT6]

easy to check on the bench.

Q2

If you hooking to your friends router private IPs are fine

For example >

cam1 10.0.0.5

cam2 10.0.0.6

gateway this is your friends router 10.0.0.1

netmask 255.255.255.0

you would access the system from the main WAN IP that the ISP gives the router

Q3

AXIS does not need it [you have given them private IPs]

-the routers WAN [for example] IP 211.222.223.4 can be put into the DDNS anyway.

hope that clears a few things

the AXIS cams have full web access ie http:\\10.0.0.5 from the local PC

Telling you need real IPs is rubbish [they dont know networks & NAT]

z

Cheers for help, that has cleared a few thing up.

However maybe one of my questions wasn't clear.

Q how can i remotely connect into the router and in turn into the cameras if i don't have a static Ip? I have been reading up on this but there is just a wealth of stuff out there. I presume i'll be asked to input an ip adress in the software at my remote site but how can i do this if the ip keeps changing??

use http://www.dyndns.org to create a "host name" for your cameras. You need to program your router to update the dyndns host name so that it is kept current. what type of router is it?

I would use wireless on this project. you can extend the local routers antenna with a direction antenna and install a access point on the distant end with the same type antenna. the catch here is both the access point and router have to have antenna's that detach...

I would also use IR bullet CAMs or armor IR domes to capture the calving. that enviornment is dirty/rough as heck so try to stick with cheaper managable cams. connect the cams into a simple Avermedia 1304 and then to the access point.......KISS

fyi.the 1304 does not require a hard drive...............basically acts as a IP server.

try looking at this supplier; http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/index.asp

Agree on the wireless. Just make sure the router's antenna(s) can unscrew and put a slightly better antenna and extension cable in. Then on the far side just use something like a little Netgear AP and put a directional antenna pointing back to router's antenna. You get a 4 port PoE switch to run the cameras power. Router, switch, cables, access point and antennas should be less than $400.

The Axis 221 is awesome, will blow any analog camera away in my opinion.

Thanks guys thats great help, like the option of using the cheaper analog cameras and the dvr but taught the IP cams would cut that all out, thus cutting costs. but I do get your point about using the bullets.

ok so I've had a look at the farm and the house is as the farmer said 300meters away. The house has got just one pc and the BB connection is going directly into her pc. hence no wireless router.

Ok i now need two wireless router's one each end and two larger external antennas? any recommendations?

Also whats an approx cost of the Avermedia 1304?

Sorry for the stupid questions guys

Thanks guys thats great help, like the option of using the cheaper analog cameras and the dvr but taught the IP cams would cut that all out, thus cutting costs. but I do get your point about using the bullets.

ok so I've had a look at the farm and the house is as the farmer said 300meters away. The house has got just one pc and the BB connection is going directly into her pc. hence no wireless router.

Ok i now need two wireless router's one each end and two larger external antennas? any recommendations?

Also whats an approx cost of the Avermedia 1304?

Sorry for the stupid questions guys

I like VST_man's suggestion with the 1304 Avermedia & std CCTV cams.

The 1304 is only around $400 (no HDD) and the cams are cheaply replaced if damaged. Note the 1304 is only a 4 port system, if you need more cameras, you will need more 1304's ganged together.

Obviously you need a spot where the 1304 and cameras can get power. The 1304 will need to be in a sheltered spot.

The 1304 will plug into a wireless bridge, which has a good directional antenna. Spend your money on a good wireless setup, because 300m is a long distance to make the wireless work well. hopefully it is a clear LOS (no obstacles).

You can later plug in IP cams if the 1304 setup is not enough resolution for you. All you will need is a switch that plugs into the wireless bridge.

On the other end, you have a wireless router and a good quality directional antenna.

Most likely you will need a Yagi's or high gain directionals to get a good signal between the wireless bridge and router.

The router is the only thing you need the DDNS to work. The modern routers have that. Granted this is only needed if off site internet viewing is required.

like the option of using the cheaper analog cameras and the dvr but taught the IP cams would cut that all out, thus cutting costs.

If you are going to record them, IP or not, you would still need an recorder of some sort.