DoanLC

Static IP: Still unable to set up Remote Viewing

Ok, so I consider myself computer savvy but am still unable to set this system up...

I purchased a Swann Unit, DVR 16-8500AI.

I am able to set up the unit to view on networked computers, but can't do it from a remote location.

I have a linksys router.

My ISP does allow data over port 80.

I am on a static IP.

I am not using a DDNS. Nor have I setup DMZ. Are these two required to view it over the internet?

Information in the DVR right now:

IP Address from whatismyip

Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary DNS, Secondary DNS, have been copied directly from the router page(192.168.1.1).

Under webport, I use 80.

Under Applications & Gaming, I have 80 to 80, TCP, and the last digit of the computers IP, and it is checked for enabled.

As i'm writing this, i'm just wondering, do i need to put in the 192.168.1.X address of the DVR unit itself, or the computer? If so, How do i find the IP Address of the DVR unit?

Please help!! Been at this for a few days trying to figure it out....searching online/forums etc...

You need to forward port 80 to the dvr's private IP address. That is the 192.168.1.x address. you should be able to find your DVR's IP address in the configuration screen (maybe even the login screen will display your DVR's IP address). If you can't find it you can search/download for free a small utility called "angry IP scanner" it will list all the devices on your network. Also you may see the device listed in your router's DHCP list if the DVR was set to "DHCP" when you plugged it into the network.

So I think you are set once you get your DVR's IP address entered in the port forward screen on your router.

Information in the DVR right now:

IP Address from whatismyip

Subnet Mask, Gateway, Primary DNS, Secondary DNS, have been copied directly from the router page(192.168.1.1).

This confuses me. if you are behind a router then the DVR's IP address should be set to one of the 192.168.1.xxx addresses. Not the address you get from whatismyip. But you said you can access the DVR from a local computer so that tells me the DVR is configured correctly...

Am I reading that wrong?

So i've established the DVR's IP Address. I'm still able to connect to it with the DVR Viewer while i am on a networked computer.

When i try to enable the DDNS server it says

"Failed to connect to the DDNS server. Please check the internet, network, or DDNS server settings."

I can view the DVR on a networked computer, so its connected to the network. And I'm currently online with the computer.

I've set up the web service port as well.

What am i missing?

So i've established the DVR's IP Address. I'm still able to connect to it with the DVR Viewer while i am on a networked computer.

When i try to enable the DDNS server it says

"Failed to connect to the DDNS server. Please check the internet, network, or DDNS server settings."

I can view the DVR on a networked computer, so its connected to the network. And I'm currently online with the computer.

I've set up the web service port as well.

What am i missing?

I am just wondering if you messed up things.

You said you can view on internal network, right? What are the ip address of your pc and dvr under this circumstances? can you post it out for clarity?

Then, you said webport, is there somewhere in the router calling virtual server? or you know webport just name the same thing in router?

Let's fix it step by step.

rgds, dove

You mentioned you have a static IP, so you don't need to use a DDNS server.

And as chanyickwai suggested, Post your IP addresses.

Please list the 192.168.1.xxx addresses for your computer, DVR, and Router.

Then list the settings you have for "web port"

Also please tell us the first few numbers of your public IP address. This is the other router IP address that is NOT a 192.168 number. We need to establish that you are entering the right IP addresses in the right settings.

Since you can view the DVR locally we know you are on the right track.