broncos347

PC Spec for Viewing Digital CCTV Images

I'm new to the forum and have a question concern specs for PC's.

I have a client how has had a digital CCTV system installed but is having a problem viewing good quality images on his PC. What is the ideal specification for a PC to view CCTV images? He has a P4 processor with a Radeon 9200SE graphics card.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. You wont get real time live viewing with most "PC based DVR's" unless you spend the top dollars.

2. Most LCD monitors displays live video very bad because the slow refrech rate and for crappy design in general. What kind of monitor does he have?

We don't put in the PC ones exept the VPON ones for daycares, when they eant remote viewing for the parents.

The monitor is a Hansol H550, 15" TFT.

So it's a cheap LCD monitor. Compare with a crt monitor and you will see a big difference. We never put in LCD monitors beacause they look like crap unless you spend real money on one

On the spending of obsene amounts of money on LCDs...I got a chance to play with one of the 30" Apple cinema displays. Very, very nice. Very, Very expensive. The details were crisp and sharp, brightness was excellent. Of course it's over $3200 (USD) but I can see spending the money for really high end security apps.

Fred, what is the best CRT monitor that you would recommend? Is it the refresh rate of the monitor that is key?

Viewsonic, Sony, Dell, KDS... Honestly it doesn't really matter that much. They are all pretty much the same. The difference between a crt and an LCD is huge. For the Donut shops we usally put in a 13" TV w/ a built in VCR, since the customer's usally don't want to pay more then $2000, and they come out looking pretty good. A CRT computer monitor looks alot better then a TV, so... We had customer a little while ago who just had to have a LCD monitor, even after we told him about the crappy quality. He ended up taking the LCD home for his computer and replacing it with a 13" TV. Very happy now.

You don't have to spent a fortune on the monitor. Just don't put in LCD's.

FredB,

Surely the choice of monitor will depend on application and budget.

There are some really crappy CRT monitors around, and there are some very good LCD flatpanel displays. Admittedly they will be at opposite ends of the price range.

Not that long ago, I had to replace a 14" Philips CRT monitor which was sitting on a Reception Desk (composite video input).

The client decided they wanted an LCD display, so after much searching they ended up with an LG 15" Flatron TV.

The picture quality was very good, and the price comparable to a decent branded 14" CRT. Of course, the prices we pay over here, are probably way over what you're used to (I think from memory the going rate for a quality flat panel is roughly equivalent to about US$ 525).

How do prices compare on the west coast?

There are two things to look for, pixel count and refresh rate, I use a an X series 21Inch LCD at home, because of the 11NS refresh rate, which is great for games, but I dont recommend LCD's for CCTV, pixels burn out, best to go high definition CRT!