benf

Reputable sellers, need I be concerned?

I'm pricing 16ch DVR's for use around my home, nothing super fancy and trying to keep it under 1200 for the unit. One of the models I'm considering is the Intellicam G4-16XLA. The manufacturers site shows the price from them at 799, which seems reasonable, but I've found the same unit from a seller on the northeast shore at 639. With that site being so significantly less than direct from the manufacturers site, it has me thinking the old "if it's too good to be true it is" thing.

I don't think I'm allowed to mention the $639 site or post a link, so my question in general is: Should I be concerned about potential scams and/or shady dealers out there, even if the site looks legit? I've clicked into a lot of the sites from the sponsored dealers here and feel comfortable with those, but since this unit appears to only be sold from a handful of places I don't have too many options.

I do not know what to tell you. Experience with the sellar is what would dictate good service, for the money.

Perhaps you can pretend that you have a problem. Do they answer the phone? Do they answer your email? If they contact you, do they sound concerned? Do they even contact you at all?

Do they have a tech support page? If not then I would be very wary. If they cannot afford the money, or the time for a simple page then they do not have the time, or the money for support personell to answer your questions, or to help you. Cheap site tend to only provide the price point, and they sacrifice the service portion. If service is of the essence then find a dealer that has a tech support page, and has staff on hand to help you through your problems.

I would say buy from a local company to you, and have them earn the money from the sale, and let them be your resource when all hell breaks loose.