Sign in to follow this  
griffonsystems

rg59 minimax

anyone use rg59 mini - i think west penn calls it mini max.. its like 8mm rg59u... ive seen it used for patch cables,etc but wanted to see if anyone has run it long distance like 400-750ft

thx

anyone use rg59 mini - i think west penn calls it mini max.. its like 8mm rg59u... ive seen it used for patch cables,etc but wanted to see if anyone has run it long distance like 400-750ft

thx

I don't think I would recommend using that cable. I would probably pay the extra money that is needed to upgrade to regular RG59 cable or RG59-Siamese cable. I'm unsure tho as I have never worked with the "mini" cable but I just wouldn't feel comfortable running that distance over that smaller cable.

thx

No more than 500'... Otherwise the video degrades... It was not meant to be used as a replacement of the standard RG59, rather what you used as well - patch cables, and short distance runs that requires smaller size cables.

i have a potential job coming up where we are installing 50 cameras but none are more than 200ft away from the head end so i was looking at options... so under 500' is fine

I have used mini cable for plasma and automation systems. It's easier to pull but I terminating that wire just sucks . The compression ends we would use we easy to pull off. Over all just difficult to work with and time consuming to get terminated correctly. I will not use that wire anymore

We use it but limit it to not much farther than 100 ft. It works fine for relatively short runs. No problems terminating it with West Penn compression BNC's and if crimped correctly they are plenty strong.