chanyickwai

mulitcast ip video solution

if i want to design a ip based video solution with many camera, say 32 pieces, and make use as minimum bandwidth as possible, is that multicast a good option? do you know any product(s) got this features? can you share the detail with me?

thanks, dove

most IP cams have RTP/ MPEG4 will do multicast AXIS etc etc...

Make sure you get cams\video-servers that do m-jpeg and MPEG4 simultaneously so you can record and view.

z

Hi Dove,

Enabling multicast can be tricky. For instance, your network devices (switches and or routers) must support multicasting for this functionality to work. Many switches and routers do not support this and if your current devices do not, this can be a big problem.

How many simultaneous viewers do you expect for a given camera? Is is 2 or 3 or is it more like 20 or 30. If the number of maximum simultaneous users is only 2 or 3, you should be ok just using unicast.

Also, if your remote clients are connecting to a NVR, you should consider having your NVR be multicast enabled and splitting the streams from the NVR rather than off of your cameras. This can minimize the complexity involved.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions.

Best,

John

Hi Dove,

Enabling multicast can be tricky. For instance, your network devices (switches and or routers) must support multicasting for this functionality to work. Many switches and routers do not support this and if your current devices do not, this can be a big problem.

How many simultaneous viewers do you expect for a given camera? Is is 2 or 3 or is it more like 20 or 30. If the number of maximum simultaneous users is only 2 or 3, you should be ok just using unicast.

Also, if your remote clients are connecting to a NVR, you should consider having your NVR be multicast enabled and splitting the streams from the NVR rather than off of your cameras. This can minimize the complexity involved.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions.

Best,

John

John,

Thanks for your sharing. I am with you. But here I feel a bit confusing that if multicast can only offer by network providers? As the router and switches actually provided by them. If they don't support, multicast video can't pass through.

Am I correct?

Rgds, dove

Dove,

I may not understand your last sentence correctly, but I will try to expand on multicasting for routers and switches.

If this is your or your client's network, then you need to ensure that these devices support multicast or switch out to one's that do. Once you confirm they definitely support multicast, then you likely need to configure the routers and/or switches to replicate/split multicast feeds.

If you or your client does not own the network (for instance you are using a carrier's network to connect different corporate locations), then the carrier will need to have multicast enabled. Most carriers do not support multicasting so this might be a problem.

I hope this helps and if I have not understand you question, please let me know so I can clarify further.

Best,

John