Thomas

Light flicker question

Note: I didn't install the cameras, nor did we sell him the cameras.

I have a customer that's having a pretty bad light flicker problem with his cameras. The lens is a manual iris, and the cameras are 12 volt DC. He doesn't know the make of the cameras. Our software can block out some areas for recording but the light flicker annoyed him with the time lapse and it's annoying him now.

is the flicker actually coming from a light source or is the camera producing one? If it is the camera, check cables, connectors, and DC voltage at the camera end. If it is a light source that cannot be removed, the options are very limited, software can block it out but may block out the target area.

I can't say it enough. If you buy premade cheap cable you will, sooner or later, experience video problems like above. Hope this helps Thomas.

This is fairly typical of cameras with lower end automatic light control systems. See if the camera has a way to turn off the ALC since it is picking up the 60 hz fluctuations of the lamps and is trying to respond to it. Some of the better systems actually slow down the response time to changing light so it will ignore this.

Do you have information on the brand and model number of the camera or is it one of those no name low end cameras?

The client wasn't sure, they predate him in the position. I wish I could tell you it would probley make this alot easier. The light is definitly coming from the light blubs (the kind begining with F that I won't attempt to spell.)

LOL, I can't spell them either Tom, that's why I just said lamps, but I know the reason is that automatic light control. Find a switch to turn it off if it has one.

Thomas,

If the problem is related to mains frequency induced flicker, you can try this.

You mentioned the cameras have manual lenses.

If the camera has either manual shutter speed selection (usually internal DIP switches) he can try setting a higher shutter speed to see if that has any effect.

Or if they're set to Electronic Iris operation, opening the aperture one stop will kick the camera into a higher speed.

If he wants to confirm that the lighting is the problem, simply turn the fluorescents off, and use an alternative tungsten light source, such as an inspection lamp, to see if the problem disappears.