dknapp

Experience with mini portable security DVR from SCD?

I would like to monitor a driveway at a weekend cottage. Thinking of using an SCD mini portable DVR ($189 plus card) kept in a nearby shed. Single camera, no network possible at this time. Would use motion sensing and mostly daylight monitoring. Just looking for folks using driveway. Anyone have any experience with the SCD mini portable DVR? Any camera recommendations? Would like to keep camera + dvr to about $300. Any other suggestions?

What model number? We have used the MPE1009 and they are great little units. Decent battery life and better than expected video quality.

Just be sure to get the largest size memory card that is compatible with the unit.

That is the one -- an SCD MPE1009. Would reside in a shed. What is largest card it will take? Does the motion sensing work well? I would like to block out nearby trees and aim camera at the road. Not sure if shadows changing would affect it. Got any suggestions on cameras for monitoring driveay? Night not too important, this is for monitoring usage, not preventing theft. Distances involved may be a bit much for IR, so good color day is probably more important.

I can't recall on the SD card size. I think we got away with a 4GB SD card, but updated firmware may allow for an 8GB SD card. I think the 4GB and 8GB are the same size so you could always try it?

As for a camera, we had a covert application that we used this in and we ended up using a KT&C WDR board camera. It worked very well in low light, produced decent pictures in high contrast times of the day, and produced true color with crisp lines. Overall, we were happy and our client was extremely happy.

Your application would probably most benefit from a finger style bullet camera. You can get away with a fairly cheap camera, sub $150. If you want daytime, go with a good color camera. If your looking for evening shots, just get a B/W as you'll get good performance during the day and night depending on light of course. However, as everyone is aware, you don't get that color distinction with a B/W, allowing you to say it was a red car or a blue car that pulled down your driveway.

As for motion detection configuration, I don't recall there being an option to mask out areas on the screen. And yes, the movement of shadows will trigger the recording as its still a change of pixels. You can however adjust the sensitivity and that should help alot. That is why we suggest the largest size memory card.

I have this same unit under a different name. MDVR-14. I've been using it on my motorbike.

I'm having a new roof put on my workshop and I'm going to use the DVR to put a camera inside the building while they are working on it. Paranoid, maybe, but I'd like to reassure myself that nothing in the workshop "grows legs and walks away"...

Thaks for the info. I don't suppose you would use motion detection on a bike, but do you know if it has that capability? The vendor did not have a manual on line.

Good luck with the project.

Thaks for the info. I don't suppose you would use motion detection on a bike, but do you know if it has that capability? The vendor did not have a manual on line.

Good luck with the project.

Mine has motion detect, manual and scheduled recording.

On the bike I have scheduled recording set to 00:00-23:59. It's only powered up when the key is turned on.

In the workshop I have it set to motion detect, highest possible sensitivity.

Well, I ordered one, so will see how it goes.

Does the motion detect allow masking out some elements of the shot?

Well, I ordered one, so will see how it goes.

Does the motion detect allow masking out some elements of the shot?

On mine, yes.