Sign in to follow this  
serial

Help with some wireless

Here's the skinny... and I haven't done much wireless, don't trust it.

Cx requires a wireless webcam used outdoors. The problem right this second is I'm not sure how far outside the house it will be. Let's assume 100' for the sake of conversation. This camera will be embedded into a website.

What should I be looking at? As far as I know this is what I'll need...

1. IP Camera with built wireless network card good for long distances and some nasty weather.

2. Wireless router indoors.

3. Forward port #(x) on router to IP camera.

4. Give IP address to web designer and be done with it.

Am I anywheres close?

Can anyone give me some equipment suggestions?

Price range = unknown

Thanks!

I'm using a Netgear FS108P & WG102 via POE, a Axis 207MW in a outdoor "bubble". Router is a Dlink DGL-4300. Axis is out 150ft. from the WG102 (in the Garage) and connects with no issues.

your plan looks good, just nail down the equipment. What is your weather like? Outdor IP camera may need a heater/blower?

I'm using a Netgear FS108P & WG102 via POE, a Axis 207MW in a outdoor "bubble". Router is a Dlink DGL-4300. Axis is out 150ft. from the WG102 (in the Garage) and connects with no issues.

your plan looks good, just nail down the equipment. What is your weather like? Outdor IP camera may need a heater/blower?

Thanks for the info, the weather could range from +30 celcius to -30 celcius... rain, sleet, snow and last but not least salt water (spray possiblity).

My problem is I don't know what IP cameras are good... what brand names should I be looking at? The one you listed kinda looks a little rinky dink imo (no offense).

Axis does have a cheaper look, but I can tell they operate very well. I've had a 207MW up in Idaho for 3 years now and it just keeps on ticking.

compare the pricing and you'll find that you can buy 3 Axis 207MW's for the price of 1 Arecont 3130...............and I get a clean pic from both, and the Arecont has a better night pic. But, the price is right for the right job.