Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Generating an articifical ground loop

Hi, I have what may be an odd question...but how would you make a ground loop for the purpose of testing a ground loop elimanator?

Trust you to come up with a good one Thomas

It's certainly an original twist on an old problem.

Never having tried to create a cursed earth loop hum, my best guess would be to earth a metal cased monitor using a normal ground connection on the buildings mains supply, and then perhaps using a 24v AC camera, run an earth wire out from it as far as possible to a grounding rod, stuck well into soft well watered soil .... and see what happens.

Failing that, if you've got a friendly neighbour in a detached property nearby, you could try running the same set up between the two properties.

(Personally, I wouldn't try it with my neighbours )

Right now the loose plan is to take the camera plus mounting and mount it to a metal rack, then ground the rack into metal grid above us in the ceiling. Then plug the power into the wall. Do I have to use 24v AC to make a ground loop or will DC work?

Definitely an odd request but try running a 24vac transformer into the shield and center conductor of the coax and then see if your ground isolation device will strip it out.

The joy of being tech support, sometimes I have I break things to prove the existance of something. In this case I'm testing a ground loop box that's supposed to elimanate the problem.