Kurt

IR cam's with technique like in the movies

I'm wondering, sometimes in some war movie, you see a general looking with his IR binocular in total darkness. The image you get then is a kinda greenisch but fully detailed as far as you can see. This w/o any IR illumination. Is this reel?

What kind of technique is that? Are there CCTV cam's outhere that work like like this?

IR CCTV cameras do not work like your binoculars. I think (not 100% sure) but you need to look at light intensifiers to get good information.

An IR CCTV camera is sensitive to IR and so can see it. The camera just turns that into a TV picture (in simple terms) where as light intensifiers take weak light, use magic to make it brighter and then show it out visible to the human eye. Basically they magnify the light where as IR CCD's see different wavelengths invisible to the human eye and so appear to see in the dark.

Is this what you are looking for?

78847_1.jpg78847_2.jpg

AstroScope for CCD Cameras

http://www.electrophysics.com/Browse/Brw_ProductLineCategory.asp?CategoryID=188&Area=NV

"Electrophysics AstroScope is a high-performance night vision module that transforms dark scenes (below 10-4 lux) into bright, high-resolution imagery. The AstroScope 9350CCD creates a compact, powerful system that adds night vision capabilities to most CCTV cameras.

The heart of the AstroScope system is a high performance Central Intensifier Unit (CIU). AstroScope's modular design permits the easy transfer of the image intensifier (the systems most critical component) to other platforms including Canon® and Nikon® SLR cameras, removeable-lens camcorders like the Canon® XL2, and a portable handheld scope."

Let me guess - $2500?

EDIT: No, I mean, I guess $6500.

You were pretty close. Tentative pricing:

$5,000 to $6,000 plus options.