marcs

ideas for wide angle rearview system

Hi Guys,

I've been doing a lot of research and read through a lot of great information in the archives here, but haven't quite figured out an approach for the system I'm trying to design so I was looking for some input...

I need a rear view camera system for a boat that has poor rearward visibility. The boat is 17' wide and I want the camera system to be able to help in docking as well as general maneuvering, so it needs to have a field of view of at least 120 degrees. 180 would be ideal.

My two choices seem to be either a single camera with a fisheye lens, or two cameras with the pictures somehow combined.

Using two cameras makes the camera selection and image quality a lot better, and easily gives me a 180 degre view, but I haven't found any way to cheaply display two images side by side on one (16:9 wide angle) small LCD screen. I need to be able to view both at the same time side by side. It doesn't have to be a seamless picture, but they both have to be visible. I don't really want to put in two displays for this, as there isn't a huge amount of room at the helm for the displays.

As for just using one camera, there seems to be a very limited selection of options for a day/night camera with a wide field of view. A 3.8mm lens wouldn't be wide enough, and many enclosures seem to cut off much wider of an angle. Most of the cameras that I have found that do have wider coverage are fairly low quality $100-150 cameras that are lower end than what I'm looking for. Having a fisheye image isn't ideal, but is acceptable.

In addition, a 16:9 aspect ratio really would be closer than 4:3 to what I actually want in the coverage area... are there any wide aspect ratio cctv cameras for a reasonable price?

Other criteria:

- ok low light performance; doesn't have to be top notch, but it should be able to produce a usable picture with some ambient light.

- am open to adding IR LEDs, but would prefer they be separately mounted. I'd see if I needed them after installing tye system.

- doesn't need to be super high image quality, I am not trying to make out individuals just see relative locations and speeds of other boats.

- this system will be mounted outside on a boat. The only water getting on it directly will be rain, but it is a humid environment so it needs to be able to deal with that.

- camera w/enclosure would ideally be under $300 or so

- no recording necessary

Any suggestions of directions to research would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Marc

Were you able to find anything for your setup? Im doing something similar and Im starting from scratch. I would love to hear what you did if you got a system running