Traken

New system, advice needed

One of my customers is requesting a quote on two 4-camera systems, 2 inside the building, day/night covering the entrances with motion detection. Outside he wants 2 more cameras, one he wants on the roof to cover the front yard area, set to record at night on motion detection and follow the motion, the other just a wide angle day/night covering motion in backyard area. We are in Minnesota so we have extreme weather both directions. Im thinking DVR with USB backup as well as network as 3 people will perhaps want to monitor from offsite. The fun part, like everyone else he wants the budget kept low. Well I would hate go back once a week because I sold him junk. Also im wondering if hes not as well off to go maybe 8 channel dvr and instead of some type of auto tracking just have multiple cameras to pick up the motion as it crosses thier path?

Thanks,

Gary.

Don't sell the cheap stuff, otherwise he won't be your client for very long. The problem with standard motion activated recording in adverse weather is that it will most likely be recording all the time due to the weather.

If we were quoting a system like that, it would be no less than $3,800.00 installed. And if the potential client didn't want to spend that much, they would goto costco and buy a $1,200.00 system, install it, and then call me 6 months later to install our system.

Depending on how much protection your looking for, you need to decide how to setup the recording. Is this residential or commercial? What is the goal for the application? Will the video be used for prosecution or just to verify events?

Hrmm, I had not thought of weather triggering motion, hehe, I would guess snow could be a huge issue. Great point. One of the locations he wants this setup is a sorority house that does experiance vandalism. The other is a home/business, they have had one instance of theft recently, so the desire to prosecute is on thier minds.

To be honest im tempted to back out of this one it feels a little over my head, so if you have any solid equipment ideas or a good enough idea to form a quote I would certainly be interested, especially if it eases my mind :>. My intent isnt to waiste your time, if things go through I would not have an issue buying from a CCTV Forum dealer.

Thanks,

Gary.

Gary , I totally agree with security monster, if your customer wants a cheap sytem, just explain to him that you do not carry cheap (cosco & ebay) sytems, you have to explain to them that they are useless and that they will not give them the picture and coverage he wants..I see it that when you explain to people the difference they see the the difference, But if install a cheap sytem, trust me from experience you will have more time and headaches then the profit you made on it....

Edited by Guest

Yeah if it rains all the time where you live, Motion Detection recording could be effected depending on the DVR used. In that case unitize outdoor motions and better yet beams such as Optex.

Low budget wont get you object tracking with a PTZ though.

Also, camera on the roof, make sure you can get to it easily to clean it every time it rains. Day Night with IR on the roof, if its a high roof it wont see much, best to keep IR as low as possible (out of reach ofcourse).

Very usefull info, and yup, im taking notes, I have a feeling i've just been saved from a rather long nightmare of issues.

Thank you all the input is of a very high value to me.

Gary...