crazythunder

alarm sensor relay

i'm no electrician, but i can install gfi plugs, install a ceiling fan, etc. my question is regarding an alarm relay for my dvr. i want to hookup a strobe and or siren to the alarm output of my dvr.i have no idea what i need though. if i get just a strobe, would i need a 4 wire strobe? 2 wires for power and 2 for the dvr? how do i install the relay? better yet, what is a relay? lol. i'm sure someone could explain this in simple terms. here's what the specs for my dvr say----ALARM OUT 8 (PGM) connectors for alarm device connection.

Provides simple On/Off switching using relay (not included).

0.5A/125V or 1A/30V. The relay is open when not triggered. The relay can be close

by either a motion or a sensor input, only if enabled in the Recording Setup menu.

can someone post say a model name and part number or whatever as to the type of relay i would need? and how to wire it? i'd really appreciate some input on this. thanks in advance.

We would need to know what kind of DVR you have to give you further information.

There are some DVRs where you can create a circuit. You have a 12 volt power supply (fused), from there you go to a 12 volt strobe light, and from there you go to the DVR, from the DVR you go back to the power supply.

I am assuming that you are using motion detection??

When motion detection activates the recording it will trigger the alarm output. You will now see the strobe light flashing to let you know that someone is in that area.

You may need an external relay to control 120 volts devices, (or whatever voltage you use).

Having multiple strobe lights makes it very easy to watch multiple doors.

Imagine being a guard to a building that has a front main entrance, a rear entrance, and a garage entrance! You can color code the strobes to mark what door they go to.

Instead of strobes you can use lights, and place them on a floor plan. You can see imeaditly what door is open, and you can look at the monitor to verify the person. This can be used for regular doors, or you can use this with electronic access doors. You can look to make sure someone has not stolen an access card, and is entering the building!

Instead of hooking up the above circuit, you can do this.

Power supply (fused), to a door with an alarm contact, and magnet, then to a strobe light, (or sounding device), and back to the power supply. When someone opens the door the strobe goes off.

This is what we install in night club, and bars. If you want to know if someone is going in, or out a door, then locate the strobe where it can be seen by several bouncer positions. When the strobe goes off, then the bouncer can react to the situation.

This is great for back doors, or doors that go to another part of a building that is not part of the night club such as the club office, or multi tenant building.

the dvr is a cctvstar SSA-0924i. you can get the pdf manual from their site.

i guess i'm still not sure how to do this. i was hoping to get a low power strobe, guessing one with 4 wires. i was thinking it worked like this-- i could power the strobe from my 12 volt distribution box, and the 2 other wires would go to the dvr's alarm output. i guess it's not that simple though???

does this look right?? am i on the right track here?

wouldn't let me post image, had to host it here.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/crazythunder1968/images/detail/#231/elk912bat1.gif

The ELK-912B is a tough relay module featuring 12 or 24V DC easily selectable operation, SPDT Form "C" contacts, draws low current, voltage input LED, and good quality large cross-head connection terminals. It is an excellent choice for general purpose switching of devices or high current loads.

FEATURES:

Good Quality Cross-head Connection Terminals

12 or 24 Vdc User-Selectable Operation

Extremely Low Current Draw

Has a Voltage Input LED

Comes with Form "C" Dry Contacts

Ideal For Multi-Purpose Switching

Small, Highly Compact Size

Includes Double Sided Foam Tape For Mounting

Shipped in a Reusable Poly Storage Box

Sold with Lifetime Limited Warranty

SPECIFICATIONS:

Operating Voltage: 12 or 24 Volts DC Nominal

Current Draw: 35mA, triggered (relay on)

Relay Contacts: Form "C" , 7A @ 30VDC, 10 A @ 125VAC

Min. Pull-in Voltage: 9VDC on 12V setting, 19VDC on 24V setting

Size: 2" X 1.5 " (51mm X 38mm) Ea.

ok, i think i'm getting it. the strobe i want to use is low power--

SLC Strobe 60,000 candle power output, 180ma current draw, Two wire connection, Operates on 12VDC . do all dvr alarm outputs provide small amount of current to power such devices? should i email my manufacturer and inquire about this? and one more thing. i think i'm almost there. how do i power the relay? do i simply cut the end off a camera power supply i have laying around and connect to the relay terminals +/-? i did this with a motion sensor i bought and it works fine. that's what i'm planning on using on the dvr. i got 4 wire alarm wire, i think 20 gauge, hooked 2 to the spliced power adapter, 2 more to the n\o and com on the sensor. gonna run 2 back to the dvr alarm input. i'm sorry for being long winded, but like i said, i'm no electrician, but not stupid either. and very determined,lol. thank you scorpion for your time and effort with this matter and elsewhere on this forum.

79089_1.jpg[/img]

so here is what i need, this relay? ok, so... here's the layout of this relay top row from left to right--- trg- , pos+ , c , nc , no

bottom row from left to right trg+ , neg- , c , nc , no

now how would i wire a 2 wire strobe to my dvr using this relay and power the strobe? the pdf you showed me scorpion didn't mention anything about powering the strobe. this is where i'm lost.

The 12 volt box is a representation of a power supply.

The red device represents the strobe.

The other box represents the DVR.

I do believe that the NC and the NO are incorrect on the pdf.

Here is what you need. You need a multi meter, and you need to hook it up to the alarm output of your DVR. If this is motion triggered then you will need to have someone wave their arms in front of the camera while you make this test.

You need to put the multi meter in to a tone mode. When you touch both probes together you should get a beep. If your meter does not have the tone then you can set it in the RX10 mode. When you touch both probes together then the meter should swing to zero. You will use the thumbwheel to calibrate it dead on zero.

Now put the probe on the DVR, and when the DVR detects motion, and it triggers the alarm your meter should be doing this:

When you hooked it up to the DVR the meter should have been in the high number area or infinite as we call it. When the DVR detected motion and triggered the alarm mode it will close a switch and your meter should swing to zero.

This is an on, and an off switch. If you know how to wire up a circuit then this should be the easy part. Just like page 4 is showing you. You should have a loop from the power to the DVR to the strobe and back to the power.

The DVR does not power the strobe in any way. It is only a switch just like the one on the wall that powers the lamp that is plugged in to the socket. The power comes from your circuit breaker box (power supply), and the switch on the wall (DVR) triggers the lamp (strobe light).

I would take your parts, and I would put it on a bench. I would have the DVR trigger the alarm output, and I would experiment with the relay board until I got it right.

You can use a 4 wire conductor if this is what you have.

You can Google schematics trying various wording till you see a help you out website that provides the information that enlightens you.

I would take your parts, and I would put it on a bench. I would have the DVR trigger the alarm output, and I would experiment with the relay board until I got it right.

You can use a 4 wire conductor if this is what you have.

that's basically what i intended on doing. i thought i'd ask first in fear of frying my $1300.00 dvr. i have a friend who can do circuit breakers, wire houses etc, but i'm not sure how knowledgable he is in this area. will call him.

you say the 12 volt box represents a powersupply in the pdf. where's the relay then? the only thing that has me confused is "where does the juice come from??" lol. i'll figure the rest out. was i right as far as like what i did with my motion sensor? by cutting the end off a 12v camera supply and feeding juice to the relay? i'm done bothering you scorpion. this is my last post on this subject. you've been a great help. thanks

anyone wanna take a crack at this? here's a copy of an email i sent to my dvr manufacturer. i think i;m close, but still must be doing something wrong. do i need a relay for the dvr alarm inputs as well as the alarm output? here's the mail---

I recently purchased the dvstar 924i dvr from your store. I’m satisfied with the purchase so far. I have a few questions though. First, I have the network properly setup. I also have dyndns setup in the dvr and the router. I have the proper ports open. I can remotely connect to the dvr. When I first set up motion detect, I got a couple of emails sent to me with the pictures. But then I got nothing. The software motion detect is not sending out mail. If I switch to a different free dns account and enter the settings in the dvr, I get the same result, one or two mails, then nothing. I bought a motion sensor thinking this would work better. But I’m having trouble figuring out how to install it properly. To power the sensor, I took a camera power adapter, cut the ends and hooked it up to the 12volt terminals. I tested the sensor and the leds flash when it senses motion, so I know it’s working. The sensor also has 2 alarm terminals. The manual for the dvr says to put two wires into the alarm input terminals. This is where I’m confused.i have 4 wire alarm wire, 20 guage I believe. 2 wires are going to the power supply. But the dvr inputs, 1-9 only allow one wire for each input. Or at least there is only one opening for each input. it looks like an opening on top and bottom for each input, but only the bottom hole accepts a wire. i took the 2 wires from the sensors alarm terminals and put both into the dvr #1 alarm input. this seemed to work, as my email received numerous motion detect images. But it seemed to be sending mail even when no motion was detected. I’m no electrician, but I’m pretty handy with things. But this one I really need help with. I need a drawing of how to wire up a motion sensor, because the manual is not very detailed. I am going to attach a picture of the interior of the motion sensor I bought. It is normally closed and I had this set in the dvr. Please, help me figure this out. Help me get the software motion detect working and please explain in detail how to wire up a motion sensor. I’d really like a drawing on how to do so if possible in detail. Thank you for your time.

nevermind. i put one of the wires from the motion sensor into the ground on the dvr and it seems to be working fine now. the motion indicator appears on the screen when i pass in front of it. phew. these manuals are not very detailed for people who have no knowledge with this stuff. i figured they would make it simple for the average joe , and in general, they have as far as setting up the dvr. but a little more detail on specifics like this would be nice.

Yes, you are right. The manuals are for those allready in the business where you learn as you go, or you have a SR tech who can show you the ropes.

The DIY have to depend on forums such as this one.

Lets hear a HIP, HIP, HOORAY for www.cctvforum.com!!

HIP, HIP, HOORAY!

HIP, HIP, HOORAY!

That's an enjoyable post and still just as relevant to the likes of me today. I will have to place my help questions later....