amnon

Controlling the zoom

I got a 22x Digital zoom camera from eBay (KCUSA, No manual The back of the camera has an RS485 (two screws) connector, SVGA Out, BNC Video out, 5 push buttons, one to bring a menu up, and the others are N, T, F, W which control the zoom in and out, and focus, and then a 5 pin control socket.

The control cable that came with it has 5 wires, labeled:

Red - 12V

Black - GND

Green - COM

White - T/W

Yellow - N/F

Supplying the red and black with 12V brings the camera on, and it is working fine. The buttons on the back do their job as far as zoom in out.

My question, can the other three wires be used to control the zoom remotely. I know I can use the RS485 to control it through a PC, but I would like to know if the wires (which are labeled the same as the push buttons on the back can be used for that.

Thanks.

absolutely, use CAT 5 or 6 wire. should work fine, I know the camera you purchased.

Great, do you have any idea what to do with the wires? I tried shorting the the three wires (t/w n/t and com) in all possible combinations, but nothing happens. Hopefully I didn't ruin the camera by doing so. I would guess I need to apply some power to the wires, but not having a diagram or manual, I'd rather hear from someone who knows

absolutely, use CAT 5 or 6 wire. should work fine, I know the camera you purchased.

Weeeelllllllllllll ????

sorry, I still have a real job and don't check this everyday. On the camera I bought to test out on Ebay (KCUSA ???) I just ran the wires to a dvr with an RS485 adapter. Using the dvr, it did work OK. I could even operate the zoom remotely. Why yours isn't working I cannot begin to guess. I didn't "short" the wires-perhaps the problem isn't with the camera, but any type of controller you may be using ? KCUSA is pretty good at tech support. You also have to "pin" the 5 pin plug correctly. If you got a diagram of the pin out you may want to check that.

Why yours isn't working I cannot begin to guess. I didn't "short" the wires-perhaps the problem isn't with the camera, but any type of controller you may be using

I know I can use the RS485, but I was wondering if I can just use the wires (with a simple switch) to control the zoom. The wires are labeled just like the switches on the back, so I thought they can be used with a remote switch too. No?

Here is a picture of the back of the camera, the wires are also marked t/w n/f

http://www.deltaforce.net/~amnon/temp/22x1.jpg

OK, I guess someone has to be the first one to try something

So, I decided it will be worth blowing a camera to find out if it can be done. KCUSA support said no, cannot be done. Well, I found out it can, and I didn't blow the camera. Connecting the green (COM) wire to -12 and the White (T/W) wire to +12, zooms in. Reversing the two zooms out. At first it didn't work, and then I thought it may need the leads from the same power supply that powers the camera, and that's when it did work. COM and the Yellow (N/F) wire activates the focus, but since the camera has an AutoFocus lens, I guess I will not need that. Just remember, don't use another power supply, use the power from the same p/s that you use for the camera.