dopalgangr

Intellicam G4-400HPT and ISC-P540X Review

Cool .. as to the color issue, the first one has no IR Cut filter, which is why the colors are off in the day.

Thanks for reviewing these cameras, I was wondering if the 540X was worth the extra $ and it seems so to me.

Justin

Very nice review, thanks for posting. I too bought a couple of the 540X cams from Mike and am finally going to be installing them this weekend. Based on what I've seen/heard so far looks like I'll be buying more!

Glad to have been of assistance to everyone!! I'm going to be posting a more in-depth review on the P540 this weekend, that will include the camera at different focal lengths, accurate distance of IR illumination, as well as utilizing the manual switches built into the camera to get the best picture and anything else I can dream up . Should have it ready by Sunday

I'm also going to be getting a couple of the PIX-D-5 dome cameras, the specs look good and will post a similar review when I get them.

I just received a couple of ISC-P540X's today.

My images look like yours, kinda blurry and dull. I am unable to precisely focus it. I've watched it closely as it goes from one focus extreme to the other and there is no sharp zone in-between and the colors are dull.

I tested it side by side with a similar in size (and some of the specs) Speco HT-INTB8 that does exactly the same thing. The images look the same. But it also has a switch that turns on an "intensifier" of some sort that suddenly and sharply focuses the image beautifully and brightens up the colors as well. The "intensifier" is also adjustable. I have it set to the 15 setting and my Levi's are the correct color when I walk by. With the ISC-P540X they are much lighter and look faded.

So I thought I made a mistake buying two ISC-P540X's, that is until the sun went down.

The ISC-P540X is amazing in the dark. As I walk by I think I am in sharper focus than during daylight. The Speco is almost worthless in the dark, while the ISC-P540X infrared is bright, evenly lit, and does a better job than any other camera I've tried at night.

The Speco HT-INTB8 is installed on the side of the house where there an outdoor motion detection light installed so not being good at night vision is not a big disadvantage for it. If anyone walks by the light comes on and the camera will then record it.

The ISC-P540X's will be going to the other side of house where I don't have any outdoor lights. There the great night vision will make sure no one gets by undetected. The daytime images won't be as good as I would like, but the night images make it a worthwhile compromise.

My images look like yours, kinda blurry and dull. I am unable to precisely focus it. I've watched it closely as it goes from one focus extreme to the other and there is no sharp zone in-between and the colors are dull.

Just curious, did you remove the back and use the different dip switches on the cameras? That footage was straight outta the box, slightly focused(except to zoom it all the way out) and the factory defaults on the rest. I think if you fool with those switches or maybe the iris level you could get a better daytime picture?? Or call Mike at Shoreviewsecurity.com and he will know what to do.

IMG_0279.jpg

I just received a couple of ISC-P540X's today.

The ISC-P540X is amazing in the dark. As I walk by I think I am in sharper focus than during daylight. The Speco is almost worthless in the dark, while the ISC-P540X infrared is bright, evenly lit, and does a better job than any other camera I've tried at night.

I've noticed something kind of on that order with my 540X's though to a much lesser degree. I have problems related to ground loop and inductance interference, which I'm working on, but in general I've noticed the images are much sharper when the sun isn't in front of the cameras. If the sun is above or behind the cams it's a beautiful image, when it's in front though it seems to be just slightly out of focus but is not to the point where I couldn't do facial recognition. I think most cams would have a problem getting almost direct Arizona sun. Night images are very nice too, a huge improvement over the cheapie SVAT cams I had before. I have a spotlight sort of thing going on but that has more to do with how the cams are mounted (about 10-12' up and pointed down at a 45 degree angle), and being in almost complete darkness. Overall am pleased with the cams and for the money it's a relative bargain. Mike has been amazing at answering all my questions and helping me out.

Just curious, did you remove the back and use the different dip switches on the cameras? That footage was straight outta the box, slightly focused(except to zoom it all the way out) and the factory defaults on the rest. I think if you fool with those switches or maybe the iris level you could get a better daytime picture??

I tried flipping around the dip switches to see if it would make any difference, it didn't, and went back to the default settings.

I haven't touched the iris at all. I don't understand enough about it to risk messing with it.

I left it on all night next to the Speco for comparison (hooked up to a GV-800 card) and will take it down later today. I had a TV set outside yesterday when I was setting it up and trying to focus.

I remembered this morning I can send email alerts with the GV-800.

So here is the Speco image:

80609_1.jpg

and here is the ISC-P540X:

80609_2.jpg

Both of the ISC-P540X's look like the bottom image. So does the Speco before I set the Intensifier setting in the menu.

on the bottom image, looks like there is no IR Cut filter, or the Iris is just down too much, adjust the Iris and see if that helps.

Other issue may be that the top image is TOO bright, iris up too high, so if there are any lights would be full of glare at night?

I just brought it inside to adjust the iris. It's actually easy and there is not much of a turn to it. I went through the whole adjustment both with indoor lighting and pointed out the window and can see no improvement. So I adjusted back where it was to begin with as that looks like the best setting. I do get a much better picture on the TV set, if that matters.

Here are screenshots from last night.

Total darkness:

81219_1.jpg

With motion activated floodlights on:

81219_2.jpg

I should also note, dont adjust the Focus in full sunlight though

Just the Iris .. make it as bright as it can without washing out the image.

the focus is a whole other thing, controlled lighting is best IMO such as inside a garage, so you can verify the quality in light, low light, and pitch dark with IR on, but focus in low light always, and make any minor adjustments with the IR on. 5-50mm lenses can be difficult inside a small space as a garage though, but a 4mm focus is fine generally. Or just focus it outside under low light and bring it in to test in IR. Either way, have fun, Day Night Infrared Cameras are probably the most difficult to setup, or at least most time consuming, as you have at the least 3 factors to adjust for.

I moved the camera to the other side of the house. The setting sun lit up the field there as pure white to the camera. So I closed the iris about 1/8th of a turn clockwise to get the field back as green.

I tried focusing it for quite a while but it's just not there. I can get a precise focus for a close object, like large text about 4 feet away, but at 15 feet nothing looks right, just like it was on the other side of the house yesterday.

The sunlight is fading now and the camera just went to B&W as I'm writing this.

How do you check if there is an IR Cut filter installed in the ISC-P540X?

The spec sheet that came with the camera does not list it and says specs can change without notice. Maybe they are not using them anymore.

If I could get a sharp focus during the day I'd be buying more of them because of the nice night vision. As it is now though, I'm looking at other camera models. I have $99 cameras with better daytime images. The best of both worlds eludes me.

How do you check if there is an IR Cut filter installed in the ISC-P540X?

The spec sheet that came with the camera does not list it and says specs can change without notice. Maybe they are not using them anymore.

If I could get a sharp focus during the day I'd be buying more of them because of the nice night vision. As it is now though, I'm looking at other camera models. I have $99 cameras with better daytime images. The best of both worlds eludes me.

Hmm, I just checked the spec sheet and it states "The ISC-P540X Series’

incomparable color day image is achieved via a mechanical

DUAL cut filter. While the first filter is used for impeccable

zero lux clarity, the second filter is utilized during the day to

eliminate “allâ€

you should hear it switch over, if it is supposed to have a mech IR Cut filter and it is not switching then it could be bad. I just had a Nuvico like that, the filter is sticking. With bullet cameras they are built inbetween the lens typically, so would need to change the lens, but its not something you just pick up. Also could be a loose wire from the lens to the board or some other loose connector.