Hi all, newbie here . I know nothing about CCTV and I'm after setting up a basic system for home, I have a few requirements and was just hoping someone can help! Thanks

I want to set up some CCTV to watch over my car which is parked on the drive in front of my house.

I've got a server in here running Windows 2003 but it doesn't have any fancy video capture cards or anything, but I think I've heard of IP cameras which stream video over ethernet? Something like this would be ideal (a wireless one would be even better but it's not absolutely essential).

The camera will most likely be sat on a window sill in a bedroom at the front of the house so it will not need to be vandal proof or anything.

I would also like a camera which has some decent nightvision (or whatever they use for recording stuff well in the dark) and which has pan/tilt/zoom etc that I can control from something like iCatcher. I don't need amazing quality but I would like to be able to make out faces while partially zoomed in etc. Needs to have a decent frame rate (none of this 1fps crap you see some corner shops etc using).

Also will need some sort of software which will constantly record the video that is captured, ideally free software.

I think that's it really, I want to spend as little as possible so if anyone can recommend some stuff along with an approximate price, that would be great.

Thanks!

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Computers-Networking/Network-Cameras/PetCams/model.BL-C10A_11002_7000000000000005702

checkout this ip home cam from panasonic and then goto milestone and download the free 1 camera license - this is probably the cheapest but good ptz that will do what ur looking to do but the vision at night isnt going to happen cheap unless you just keep a light on outside... when you want to see at night you need ir illuminator to light up the area and then you will need a cam that can take advantage of the ir and that would require you to mount it outside it wont work through a window

theres a 200buck solution. go get em

Just to add, if I have to, I don't mind getting an outside one and mounting it on the house. I don't have an exterior light so I will need a camera with IR...

that ebay one is crap.. if you are going to get something cheap at least get it from a brand name you have heard of before...the ir illumator will have to be mounted outside as well so your better off just putting up a normal light.. for a ptz with ir that is ip you are well into the $2k range

I think that's it really, I want to spend as little as possible so if anyone can recommend some stuff along with an approximate price, that would be great.

Costco, aisle 6.

Or find yourself one of those DLink network cameras. Doesn't require a DVR, just a place to upload images. You could probably find one on ebay or some online retailer. Image quality is not great, but it will work.

If you want good image quality and features expect to pay closer to $800 for an IP camera. More for weatherproof.

Oh, and put a motion sensor activate light outside. You'll find that may deter would-be vandals more than a camera hidden somewhere that they don't know about.