bptmanager

Card Selection for Vista

Hello All,

Asked advice recently on how to make a DVR card work with Vista that I had already purchased......I take it since there were 30 odd views of my post with no responses that nobody wants to offer up any words of wisdom?

I've decided at this point that I am not going to waste any more time on this particular card and am sending it back.

Anybody have any advice on a 16 cam DVR card that will definitely work with MS Windows Vista???????

Of course I am hoping to keep costs to a minimum, so please keep that in mind as well.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

For reference here is my earlier post:

Hi all. New to the forum. Desperate for some help!

I have a Intel Core Duo machine running Vista that I purchased to become a surveillance DVR machine in addition to being a desktop PC. It has a 512MB Nvidia card with dual monitor support. I also have it hooked up to two monitors. It has 2 GB Ram.

Purchased a "DiGiCam" DVR card Model # 2769H............

Installed the DVR card and software and have had nothing but problems. DVR software loads but the GUI is incomplete (buttons missing etc.). I can see the camera input but the software is useless. Then when the software is closed, Vista is basically stuck at or near 100% cpu usage for some unknown reason. When I open task manager, it appears that task manager itself is the one hogging the resources. At this point all that can be done is a restart. BTW memory resources seem fine ----30%.

Really don't know what the heck to do at this point. The Tech Support guy at Central Alarm Systems Inc. (24-7cctvsecuritycameras dot com) told me that they have one of these DVR cards running on a Vista machine in their lab that isn't having any issues. He also advised me to switch PCI slots that the card was in. Did this. No change.

Any advice? PLEASE!!!!!

NUUO 5000 Series [H/W Compression H.264 (Actually is HIKVison Board)] works fine with Windows Vista.

NUUO officially doen't support Windows Vista until they will be 100% for the compatibility.

I have a Test System using 2x SCB-5016 Boards (32 Ch system) up and running for 2 months and works fine.

Now If you want to keep the Cost down, you can chose SCB-3000 Series (S/W Compression). I 've installed 3000 series product on Vista and It also worked, but I haven't made LongTime tests of that.

DirectShow based capture card are generally compatible with vista (but some of them are not stable). For a cheap one you can purchase provideo's which we've just tested to be stable. There may be cards even cheaper.

As I know HikVision's compression cards are not vista compatible. They still do not have publicly released vista driver for their cards.

Personally, I can't wait until a manufacturer comes out with a DVR system that will run on OS X. Wanna know why?

I have installed the exact same card on two machines running Vista. The specs are close in both and this isn't a system resource problem. Everything was as identical as I could get it. The card worked perfectly in one system and it failed miserably in the other.

There are literally hundreds of different brands out there that make parts for PCs. Each of these brands develops driver software completely independently of the others. Consequently, there are millions of possible permutations in computer hardware. At the end of the day, it is impossible to really test any kind of a card because conflicts happen all over the place!!

This isn't a Microsoft issue because I'm aware that they can't possibly test Vista under every single permutation available. I can't even blame card manufacturers because they have the same restriction. As long as the PC market operates as it does, every time a new operating system comes out, it is going to create problems for 2 - 3 years.

There are two morals of the story. First, don't buy a new computer to serve as your DVR. You're wasting money and setting yourself up for disappointment. You only really need a Pentium 4 with 512mb to 1gb of RAM to run a really good system. You can find those all over for extremely cheap! And second, make sure you do business with a supplier who stands behind his/her products!

Actually I think its a Microsoft Problem, Vista is one huge resource hog.

One needs super fast hardware to come close to and still not match the performance of XP.

Actually I think its a Microsoft Problem, Vista is one huge resource hog.

One needs super fast hardware to come close to and still not match the performance of XP.

Heheheheheh....

I can't argue with you - Vista chews up the system resources! But, I can't blame Microsoft for the fact that two machines show dramatically different results running the same card!!!