I have not reviewed Ethernet over power lines for a few years but when I did the main drawback was that the 'network' created was limited to where an individual circuit ran. Alternatively put, if your facility had multiple circuits (and I believe most do), you cameras could only run over a small portion of the facility. For my uses, this defeated the purpose and I abandoned it.

As for bandwidth, I believe bandwidth levels were similar to wireless in the 5 Mb/s to 20 Mb/s range which would handle 8 to 16 standard def cameras.

Power line networks for video surveillance have never really taken off and I would generally recommend to stay away from them. That being said, if you describe your scenario further, perhaps there is a specific solution that could work well.

Best,

John

There is a product by Motorola called the Powerline MU. It is designed to provide MTU/MDU's (apartments) with high-speed broadband.

Basically, the 'access point' is installed at the meter bank. This lights the entire complex up on that meter bank. All of the electrical outlets on the meter bank there now have high-speed connectivity. Plug in your modem and you are set.

There are some catches on a system design such as quality/condition of the electrical systems interconnects (dirty breaker contacts, poor electrical wiring, bridge taps, etc) that can wreak havoc with such a system.

If you want to know more check out Motorola's website.

with data over power lines, as described in earlier posts, the data is limited to the same circuitry in the same power distribution unit.

For consumer / entry-level usage, the amount of bandwidth stands at 200Mbps as of today - but the issue of "routing" data across different power DB is still present.

I've witnessed a data-over-powerline trial, where data and internet access are routable across different power sub-stations across the country. This was achieved in 2003, with internet speeds at excess of 45Mbps (at that time, it was blazingly fast). The trial used Mitsubishi's products, but the cost of making data "routable" across different power DB is very high, thus making it a major barrier for such a technology to be deployed on a large scale.

It generally works, but still has speed and distance issues that can be very limiting. You may consider it for a couple of hard to get to places, but should not be your primary means of traffic.