dcam

NV5000.. XP PRO + Video card

Hi, I'm building a DVR using NV5000 (first time).

Is it true I need to use XP Pro. Instead of XP, and also do I need to use a video card , instead of on board video.

I've used Geovision up to now, and they just need XP + on board video, for 600/650/800

I plan to use Intel mobo. with 128 MB on board video

Thanks ... Dominic

Home, Pro or MCE will work.

Try your on board video first, I have had no issues with it (Intel stuff that is).

you don't need Pro UNLESS your are in a Domain type network............Home works fine otherwise.

Build it? why? I use the Dell Vostro 200/400's with a C2D and onboard video.....works great. Prices are usually lower than building it.........and you get a monitor with the purchase, and free shipping. Just make sure you have enough card "slots" t handle all the additional camera's & audio.

I used to save a couple bucks and buy them but now I only build. It's a variety of reasons. I found the cost savings in hardware wasn't worth the labor cost gained in configuring. OEMs just change up their products too much to be reimaging as creating the image takes too much time. That was a lot of why I quit buying. I didn't have a bunch of hardware problems aside from their cases aren't filtered and the power supplies often didn't fit into my cases (rectangular hole). Then the CPU heatsinks and cooling only worked well in the original case and it wound up just being easier and about the same $ to just build.

Well this and I know 100% whats inside my machine, little worries of something getting changed up on me.