jevs

RG6 or RG59?

RG6 or RG59 better for residential cameras? I don't think any runs would be over 150' even if cabling is squared off to look nice.

RG59 is fine. Either way, copper solid center and copper braided.

No aluminum Cable TV cable.

Never seen stranded coax but I guess it's possible, I would not suggest using it as terminating will be a complete pain.

As mentioned, copper core and copper briad at least 95% coverage.

Really though I suggest you start looking at Cat5 it's all together easier and lets you combine cameras in a single cable or upgrade easily to IP cameras when thier cost comes down. If you do it right it can actually do both too. It does cost more for smaller installations, but it's worth it IMHO.

no dont use stranded. Should work but good luck working with It. Ive seen it on some older installs I looked at.

Never seen stranded coax but I guess it's possible, I would not suggest using it as terminating will be a complete pain.

As mentioned, copper core and copper briad at least 95% coverage.

Really though I suggest you start looking at Cat5 it's all together easier and lets you combine cameras in a single cable or upgrade easily to IP cameras when thier cost comes down. If you do it right it can actually do both too. It does cost more for smaller installations, but it's worth it IMHO.

Problem with cat5 down here is this, balun goes bad, have to wait a week or two for some more to come in. You can pick up BNC connectors from any electronic store down here now though never seen a bad BNC connector ...

Also, how are you getting around all the high voltage and interference issues with cat5? They load these ceilings up here with all kinds of raw high voltage exposed and all ..some dangerous stuff .. no enforced codes.

ok thanks. what do you think sir about using stranded? because when using utp picture becomes snowy and picture sometimes gets disrupted. may be the wire has loosen because of the moving cabin.

In My Humble Opinion

Yeah you have an issue if UTP is causing troubles like that under a couple hundred feet.

I have never had interferce on my Cat5 I may do a little test of this as well as I have one of those whole block transformers in my back yard.

sorry humble

And yes please test and let us know .. thought as it had less insulation it would be more susceptible to interference, but maybe not. Also, any comments on the strength of the cable compared to coax?

BPSB15.jpg

before we used the catenary cable of the equipment and the result is snowy and video been disrupted. may be it is due to the high power lines with the catenary cable. the camera will be mounted only on one side of the equipment, so the operator can see the other side.

80662_1.jpg

also can this setup work?

is stranded wire ok?

Yes, but you should use BNC connectors that are designed for stranded wire. Again, as long as the wire is 100% copper it will not be a problem. Manufacturers of PTZ's that use separate cameras use stranded RG-59 or RG-179 to connect the camera because regular solid RG cable would eventually break as the cable flexes during pan and tilt operations.

The same applies to any application where the cable has to flex such as elevator traveller cables. Usually, solid conductor wire is used in CCTV because the cable doesn't flex in normal use and solid conductor wire is cheaper and easier to terminate. But stranded works just as well - sometimes better for certain applications, like the one you are contemplating.

ok. so there are special BNC for stranded. how about RG6 stranded? for combining the power and signal in one cable is not advisable? what are the pros and cons?

Oh I see now!!!

Well yeah you would want stranded coax! You need it to flex as the car moves.

Or stranded Cat5, I think you had high voltage too close for too long.

The enclosure should be rated for harsh environments. And you should maintain adequate spacing between low voltage (CCTV) and high voltage wires or the low voltage wiring should be in a separate metal conduit or tray.

ok. so there are special BNC for stranded. how about RG6 stranded? for combining the power and signal in one cable is not advisable? what are the pros and cons?

For RG-6, you can probably use a BNC designed for 18 gauge solid wire if the RG-6 stranded is 18 gauge total. The only thing is that as the strands get smaller, it becomes more difficult to assemble the connector since the more flexible center conductor sometimes bends before the center pin snaps into the hole. I used to have to pull the pin through with a pair of needle nose pliers when I worked with stranded RG-59. I also sometimes had to cut one strand off to get the wire to fit into the center pin.

I would also bet that compression fittings and 2 piece BNC's would be near-impossible to assemble with stranded wire. You will probably have to use 3 piece BNC's.