kaon

Aver's .DSS video files

Hi all,

What's up with Aver's .dss video files?

Is there a way to convert it losslessly into something like an mpeg-avi that's playable by other common software players?

What kind of compression is being used? I think my DVR cards are NV3000.

If it is some kind of MPEG, I'd expect it to be convertible without loss and recomputation into something that other players can play.

Right now, the export tool seems to be doing re-encoding. It is slow and lossy.

Can someone clarify please?

Alternatively, is there a codec or something that can be used by common software like Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic, to play the native .dss?

TIA

The export tool is not transcoding if you choose avi as output format and had MPEG4 selected as the compression in the recording setup.

The compression is selected in the setup>recording, the choice is yours.

There is no such beast as "lossless" video compression, it's not like audio all video compression even DVD MPEG2 is lossy.

I do not know of a codec to allow dss files to play however I do assume one exists.

The export tool is not transcoding if you choose avi as output format and had MPEG4 selected as the compression in the recording setup.

ok thanks. will check.

if it is non-transcoding, then I would expect it to be lossless, and not take much CPU time.

The compression is selected in the setup>recording, the choice is yours.

OK.

There is no such beast as "lossless" video compression, it's not like audio all video compression even DVD MPEG2 is lossy.

This I understand. One-time lossy MPEG compression is fine.

I was concerned about generational-loss due to a second-round of lossy-compression, and the fact that it is slow.

I do not know of a codec to allow dss files to play however I do assume one exists.

OK. Thanks.

All CCTV DVR compression techniques are pretty lossy but those setting will significantly reduce your time to export when compared with the MPEG option.

All CCTV DVR compression techniques are pretty lossy but those setting will significantly reduce your time to export when compared with the MPEG option.

The best AVI export I know of so far is that by ACTi cameras and their ACTi NVR.

Their native files have extension .raw, exporting to .avi is really fast, typically within 1 second for 10minutes of video. Filesize also remains nearly the same. This is exemplary, no transcoding, just a change of container format.