CCTVINSTALLER

Geovision login problem

I'm having a continuous problem, i hope you guys can help me. Basically ive created a second user under the "User" group. Ive restricted all the things such as minimise, stop monitoring etc. Ive added the new username and password to the startup auto login box in system config so it logs in automatically. I have also enabled startup monitor- monitor all so it starts recording when the system reboots (auto reboot). Everytime i restart the machine, the system does not start recording like it should. Ive checked everything and can't figre out the problem. Does it matter which user group i put it under e.g. "supervisor", "poweruser".

Also what other tips can you guys offer to tighten security on Geovision, because at the moment, its so easy to just log out the system. Thanks for your support in advance

Two tips....

1/ sell the system with a cordless keyboard and mouse, then add silastic to the transmitter socket, hard to play around without access to keyboard and mouse, then obviously lock the wirelss gear away.

(oh but rmemeber you sold it or you will get some stupid call saying the dvr does not work, when after all it si just flat batteries)

2/Use the desktop lockup feature, it replaces the desktop with the Geo desktop and stops unwanted access and kills ctrl alt delete etc.

I ahve neevr seen your problem in recent Geo software.. did see this fault a very long time ago.. just make sure that the auto log in password person you made has not had the ability to record turned off as an option.. I dount this is your problem but it can hardly hurt to check.

Like the wireless keyboard idea, ideal for retail environment.

Yea not sure what is causing the problem. I think it occurs if you don't restart the machine properly; i just hit the reset button

Tell me something on the older software versions, v6.05 if you hit restart will it apply your last settings, e.g. if i dont start monitoring will the system reboot and continue not recording or will it apply your startup settings? I know v6.1 allows you to apply your typical settings or last saved settings, i'll try that and hope for the best!

Yep was a bug in version 5

Yea not sure what is causing the problem. I think it occurs if you don't restart the machine properly; i just hit the reset button

Every time you do this you cause a corrupted file in the recordings, and this causes system instability...

Oh S***, ive been doing this with all my systems to test if it logs in properly. Thanks for notifying me, that probably explains all those strange phone calls ive been getting saying the system is not working. I was thinking of not connecting the reset switch altogether because with the new keylock facility, although it disables the power switch, you can still press the reset switch.

There is nothing you can do about on and off switches, not that i know of, I mean they can always pull the plug anyway, you could re route the on and off switch to hide it somewhere.

Geo and every other DVR that is PC based, utlises ram to store video events in memory, if you kill the machine it is like the memory takes a punch in the head and cant rmemeber the last thing it thought of, but unlike a boxer that will just forget completely, it dumps what it had in memory to the HDD, this means an incomplete AVI file is dumped, in this way the HDD is liked to having bad sectors, but the index file has no idea the file is not ther.. so what happens is the index file says..."ok time to write to this section of the HDD space" but in reality that part is corrupted so it cant write there, this causes many problems.

Easiest way to test for corruption if using XP is to go to drive with log files on it, go into each camera folder in turn..firstly look at the dates (names of the folders) if they are out of sequence (for example you have a folder that is 6 months old and your system only holds 2 months), then chances are you have corruption... obviously if you only just diud it, its hard to find, but if using XP, then chaneg the folder view to THUMBNAIL and you should geta preview of the contents of the folder on your folder icons, if no preview, good chance you have corrupted files.

To remedy, format the drive...not a quick format, run a surface scan (may not be necessary), re map the drive in system config and then run the dtabase repair utility to update the index file.

This is why we use software integrating UPS devices, they shut down the machine when power drops, after all power outage is the same as pulling the plug, once again.. silastic around power plug, proves that it has not been tampered with as long as they cant get to the other end.

Hope this helps...

Almost forgot, some folders wont preview if nothing in them...if you find a folder that wont auto preview, then simply open it and if a media file is there try to play it, if it is corrupted then it will nto play in media player.

It usually does not , but the thing is if you dont tell the index file that is the association between the log program and the actual folders there, then the software can get confused, as it thinks it is still there and avoids writing there.. and visa versa, ohhh and yes same goes for comart, well did ages ago when I tested it.

Because of the problem with corrupting files & the possibility of power cuts, people unplugging etc we now fit all our systems with UPS. These are quite cheap now & have saved us a lot of time (& customer goodwill no callout charge) by allowing windows to shut down properly.

They also act as anti-surge units.

A corrupted file will occur from power loss, but it's a software problem if a corrupted file does anything other then report being corrupted. Nor should it hang the program. Worse case should just be a corrupted file.

I disagree thomas, I ahve several corrupted movie files on my home pc, and this has cuased many problems ranging from abnormality in operation when reading from areas where this data is stored and more commonly a mss representation of the file size, quite often corrupted AVI files can miss rperesnt thier size and take up almost a half a hard disk drive even when they are small...

Hay try downloading half a movie then play it in media player, watch it crap itself when it gets to the end of the file, then it will hang media player, same can happen if your log says there is a file there, and yes there is a folder structure, but when you got o play it,,,, hay presto lock up, and what happens when a lock up happens.... another corrupted file..

WMV and AVI, darn I hate those are almost always corupted, or maybe its just Kazaa and the 'type' of movies Im downloading!!!

Rory, your problem is Kaaza.

DVR:

An input of a read only file should not ever cause a problem with a program. This is a rule of programing. If a read only input takes out your software, you have a bug.

Its more that the index file.. the file structure listing found in logs, is not linked to the actaul evidence of files onthe video partition, so it can think something is there, the main problem is that because the system recycles, it always fills the hdd, and if a corruption occurs, then it can miss represent thefile, this means the index says... ok writew to this part of HDD, the O/S says, hang on I cant theres something there. so index says.. crap, I have no listing and says, nope dump it there, and trying to write data onto corrupted data can cause problems.

Look I am no programer and I do not profess to know more than you do, however we had major problems with corrupted files until UPS's were deployed, apparently its fixed to search and destory corruption in 6.1 but I cant find where, all DVR's that are PC based that I have played with do this..even the comart did it, well it did when i tested it, either that or they dont dump the file at all and index thinks it is there, this is why most pc based DVR's have a database repair utility, your right chances of hanging are slim, but I have found many an irratic buffer overun or memory stack error has disappeared after fixing this problem.

Oh and BTW you should not use Kazaa... try Azuerous...not sure of the spelling, it is a bit torrent and works better without spam, also i ahve found that the free VLC Media Player plays everything from images and almost every codec, even damged AVI files, for free it is a good thing.

Oh and BTW you should not use Kazaa... try Azuerous...not sure of the spelling, it is a bit torrent and works better without spam, also i ahve found that the free VLC Media Player plays everything from images and almost every codec, even damged AVI files, for free it is a good thing.

i dont use Kazaa, I use Kazaa Lite, no spam, it was the free version from before they changed it and started charging, was not out for free for long and then they changed it all after that, but I gots it on CD Has all the features of the full Kazaa and then some, and more than the current versions of kazaa lite.

also check the monitor all feature in the config..

this has to be ticked for any machine to record on reboot

I didnt see that posted anytwhere here. sorry just in case someones looking later to fix a prob, thats ur answer

also azureus is the best kazaa sucks dk

firefox rocks so does thunderbird

avg

ad-aware pe

ewido

or just dont get on the net

cheers

Edited by Guest

also check the monitor all feature in the config..

this has to be ticked for any machine to record on reboot

I didnt see that posted anytwhere here. sorry just in case someones looking later to fix a prob, thats ur answer

cheers

I was answering the RECORD ( monitor) feature...

sorry for dragging up old threads i was searching for something and found this and saw no real reply was made.

In case someone drags it up looking for an answer I thought Id put my 2c in

sorry