Robocam

Kalatel dvmre 10-ct-320 and ethernet connection

I have the unit described above and i can connect over my network, but every so often the ip address of the unit changes and I have to go upstairs and look it up in the menu setup in the unit and this is a big pain. any way to get the ip address to stay the same over time? Would i have to get a static ip address from roadrunner my hi speed internet provider??? thanks

Yes, turn off DHCP in the DVR's Menu System, and enter a fixed IP from the Routers IP Range. Make sure it is one at the end so it does not conflict with other computers. Also make sure you enter the Routers Subnet Mask and Gateway also. Nothing else in the menu program is required besides that.

This way it will always stay the same.

Also, in the Router, Port forward to that IP and Ports 1024 to 1024 and click TCP & Enable and then you can connect remotely to it.

Rory

EXAMPLE:

in the Router, if its a Linksys, Probably the default Range is 192.168.1.100 + 50

SO ...

you can check this by going to IPCONFIG in the command Prompt also and see what your IP address is on your Networked PC. If it is in the 100's then thats the range to use. If it is in the 10's then thats the range to use (10+50)

Also Subnet should be 255.255.255.0 which may have to be changed in the DVR MEnu System. Gateway will depend on the range also, so if it is in the 100's then it would be 192.168.1.1

If you have less than 9 PCs, then you can simply make it something like 192.168.1.10 or any number up to 50.

NOTE: I always change mine to 192.168.1-50 and make my DVR 192.168.1.10 and up, as we always have had less than 9 PCs on our networks. Only if it is a large network then it will be whatever you can make available. This just makes it easier to remember when doing any service or incase a network tech has any questions in upgrades etc.

Enter that as the IP in the DVR menu, enter the Subnet mask and the Gateway, Click Enter, and use that IP in your WaveReader locally and you will connect.

To connect remotely you would need to port forward to that IP with Ports 1024 to 1024, TCP, and Enabled, name that application whatever you want.

Thats it, reboot Router & DVR and you are good to go.

NOTE: Routers other than Linksys may be 192.168.2.100 instead of the .1. I have never used any other ones for the DVR forwarding as I have never been able to understand their lingo, Linksys is just simple.

Rory

Rory, I tried to do the port forwarding thing as you described in another post but my new 8 port linksys router did not have any of the forwarding options you said would be in the advanced setup. I did not see forwarding, tcp, udp, or ext port options. What am i missing? thanks for the help btw you have been immensely helpful in my initial security setup and i am very grateful for your time and help.

i think i found what you are describing in the applications and gaming tab but i think my kalatel said the http port was 80?

Okay, but first you need to add a set Router IP into the DVR otherwise adding it in port forwarding/special application in the router will be useless as it will change.

Could be different wording in the new routers and/or the 8 channel versions.

I just did an 8 channel the other day but im sure it said Port Forwarding or at least Forwarding.

Look for Special Application or Gaming & Application, where it has 2 Text Boxes for port numbers, TCP/UTP Drop Down Box, Internal IP address, and a tick to enable box.

If you give me your Current IP address, enable the router for remote access, and Ill connect to it and set it up for you from here. Just leave the 'Block Wan Access' off and use the default password or PM me a temp one, you can always change it and change it back. Once I make the changes then I can give you the internal IP to enter in the DVR, and then you will be able to see what I did for future changes.

Rory

i think i found what you are describing in the applications and gaming tab but i think my kalatel said the http port was 80?

Http will stay the same.

For WaveReader or 3rd party software, you need to enable it as port 1024, so it will be 1024 in both text boxes - 1024 to 1024.

You can enable Port 80 as well as another application, to goto the same internal DVR, but I have never been able to get the port 80 to work with a router to connect to the DVR, yet, though Kalatel sais it should. I only tested 1 router like this before though, as other clients are only using WaveReader. The ones that have worked were just plugged direct into the Cable Modem. It should work though, so you can try it, I may have had a bad Router or at least it was an older one.

I wish I had (could afford) my own personal Kalatel DVR, so then Id be able to test this further, and also, there is so much more I want to do, such as custom local software, controller testing, etc,, and remote control testing, some of which I have toyed with and it works, but remotely over the internet is not the best place to test it. Anyway, one day ...

no, port 1024 is the port used to connect to the Kalatel DVR.

Port 80, is a default HTTP port, for most web servers, which is used for the web server that is installed on the DVRs HDD, which has nothing to do with actually connecting to the DVR via LAN and viewing video. So regardless of whether the HDD has a web server on it or not, the port that you connect to on the Kalatel DVRs, is always 1024 - this cannot be changed as it is written into the DVR's EPROM (OS).

So to get the browser to auto load to the DVRs web server ActiveX software (like what I wrote but it is installed on the HDD), when you enter the ISP's IP Address in the browser's location, it will normally just go direct to that web server, if connected direct to a Cable Modem for example. If using a router, as i posted above on the other message, it is different, you would normally need to port forward port 80 as well.

Port 80 is a browsers default HTTP port, well the servers, but just as an example. When you type in www.cctvforum.com, it connects to the Servers port 80 by default, as is set in the web server software (some one correct me if Im wrong, I may be confusing myself here now )

Edited by Guest

All the Router is doing is, taking a reqest from another IP Address, like yours at a remote location, if it sees a request for say port 1024, it will then redirect the remote user to the internal IP that you set in the router. Depending on the port request, depends on if it is set up to forward to that Internal IP and whether the networked system (DVR or PC) has that port set up to allow requests on that port. Certain server software built into the DVR's Eprom is set for port 1024 for requests and once a connection is established, then say, WaveReader, sends commands to the DVR.

The web server is basically an add on, which is why it is installed on the DVRs HDDs. It also connects to port 1024 and can actually be used to connect to ANY other Kalatel DVR, as you just enter a different IP Address once the ActiveX has loaded. The thing is, the Router sees a request for port 80 (essentially but like I said it didnt work for me), then forwards it to the DVR, which sees a request for Port 80, so it redirects to the installed web server on the HDD. If not using a router, the DVR gets the request's automatically and deals with them accordingly.

Why they didnt just write the Browser Capability into the DVR's EProm's Server?? dont know, maybe the RTOS (Nulceous) does not support requests to Port 80, or maybe it was cheaper for them just to get someone to hard code some client side VBscript and install it on the HDD ... something I wrote before they did actually, but as an ActiveX from Visual Basic and using ASP. Actually it is really accepting the request anyway, then redirecting, so I guess maybe they could not implment java on the RTOS and obviously not ActiveX so they installed the web server for that, seperately.

After tearing their vbcript code apart to see if there is anything new, and also working with their WaveBrowser Control, I found it actually does much less, packaged that way I guess, and thats probably why it has the word "Lite" in the name of the control. I can do alot more with the Control I currently use, though still less than the full control which does not allow development from.

Rory

Edited by Guest

so, should i reset the kalatel port to 80 as it was in the default or does it matter??? i changed it to 1024 in the unit when you said to use 1024 for the router port.

so, should i reset the kalatel port to 80 as it was in the default or does it matter??? i changed it to 1024 in the unit when you said to use 1024 for the router port.

You should not have to touch that. I think what you are talking about is the HTTP web server port, that should be left to port 80, I dont remember that being changeable, maybe in the more recent DVRs it is now. What normally happens when you type in a web address or Ip without specifying a port at the end of it, it defaults to port 80, so ignore my confusion on the previous post as to server or browser defaults, its been a long couple days!

So essentially if you change that to say 1024, then in the browser you would enter http://24.244.157.60:1024 - where that is your IP, this way the browser should work now when using a Router. Perhaps this is a recent upgrade as before the web server would not work to port 80 with a router, at least I could not get it to work using port forward to port 80. Its worth a try either way, AFTER you get the WaveReader part working properly.

Either way, regardless of the web server port and Browser stuff, that should not effect how WaveReader connects to it: Just enter the Internal Router IP into the DVR, in the router port forward to port 1024 to that IP. Then WaveReader should stay online locally, and you should be able to connect remotely to your ISP's Ip address also with Wavereader (or my software).

Rory

Edited by Guest

ok.....now i made the changes you suggested (to the router forwarding options) and now i can access my kalatel through the lan without it changing ip addresses.....now what do i need to do to find my cameras when i am at work and on another nonnetworked computer? do i need to have the wavereader or wavevue running on that computer? this is a government office and what if i cannot enable active x controls???? anyway to access my cameras just through the internet somehow avoiding software and active x problems?? thanks

Yes, you get your ISP IP address, if it is not a static IP, then you need to set up something like www.noip.com or just check it when it switches, you can view it in the router settings for Status.

Other than ActiveX, WaveReader, only way would be Java, but not many stand alone DVRs support Java, at least not kalatel. You can set the IP address as an allowed site for installing software, then it blocks all others. Only IE supports Active X though, so it will be safer to just install WaveReader one time so there is no compremising of the browser security at all, then you can just get rid of IE all together and install Fire Fox

ok, if i get a noip.com address then i can determine what my ip address is if it should switch when i am on vacation in cancun or something??

but, i think i also hear you saying that the only way to access my kalatel from remotely is to have a computer with wavereader running on it. so if the resort i am at only has internet capablel computers (vs. high speed access for a tabletpc or portable) , i will not be able to see me pics unless this computer has wave reader on it????

now what ip address do i put in the remote wavereader? the kalatel IP address or the computer ip address that i determine from www.noip.com? thanks again Rory!!

Yes you will only be able to use a Windows PC, not tablet PC unless it is running Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP.

Not sure on the browser thing right now (with the router) until I test this new DVMRe I have to install this week, since you say the port can be changed now for the HDD Web Server. Either way you can use my iVue web software from any IE Browser, no WaveReader is required. I have to edit it for XP this week sometime, but after that it will be okay to go, then you can just copy it to a Geocities free site and it will always be there.

Rory

ok i set up my no-ip account and can get into my router to determine my current ip, what then? do i put this ip into the wavereader? thanks

Well this is really cool....i put my ip address to my computer (not the ip of the kalatel) and put it into wavevue pro and it is showing my cameras!!!! Is this what will happen from a remote location as well??? thanks

NoIp will need to be running on your PC all the time, and as your IP changes, it will email your email address. This means when you are at work, or in Cancun (or the bahamas!), if your IP address has changed, just check your email.

You enter that IP in the WaveReader or whatever, when at a remote PC such as at work or on vacation, but you have to leave a PC always on, on the network, all the time, or at least when you are at work, or on vacation.

You CAN also use that IP in WaveReader, etc, locally and it will work also.

Rory

Well this is really cool....i put my ip address to my computer (not the ip of the kalatel) and put it into wavevue pro and it is showing my cameras!!!! Is this what will happen from a remote location as well??? thanks

Yep

If you have someome that can test it right now ask them to, from another location, just to be 100%. WaveVue only takes a minute to download and install as its so small. They can also use HyperTerminal to see if it connects using TCPIP if they dont want to download the WaveVue or WaveReader, just enter the IP and Port (1024) and if it connects then it is working remotely. Just make sure they disconnect and dont try to upload any Bin files!

Rory

Edited by Guest

what do you mean by no-ip needs to be running on the computer? i thought that i could just go to my no-ip domain and with a password it lets me into my router settings??? no?

you have to install the No-ip software on your PC, it runs as a service which checks your IP. Thats the only way it will know whether your IP address has changed or not. To actually get in the Router Settings remotely, the Router uses Port 8080 and has to be set up to allow incoming WAN requests, should be in Security Settings in the Router Admin.

So say your IP is: 24.244.177.87, then to directly get to your router you enter http://24.244.177.87:8080 to access the router admin, If you are going to do this, make sure you change your Router's password from the default 'admin'.

as for using No-ip.com to directly access t he router, etc, I never got that far with it, since it needed a PC on for it to work, I didnt use it anymore, but many people on this forum use it so they can probably answer that. (I dont use any Instant Messanger also!). I know it will email me whenever my IP on the PC it is running on, changes though, If I were using it, I did for a couple days just to test it.

Personally my IP hardly ever changes and my clients use Static IPs from the ISP.

Rory

I guess you just enter myname.noip.com:8080

?

But for sure the PC must have noip.com's software installed on it and turned on.

I have to log off, I have a PC to reload windows XP on ...keep us informed

Rory

maybe this is weird, but when i put my no-ip address into my web browser it shows the password box for my router and when i put in the password the router settings are available. is this just because i am on my own computer or would this be the same on a remote computer?? if so, then i would be able to access my current ip address in my router status settings from anywhere. Is this wrong? It woudl be much easier this way and i would not have to provide my email address and password to no-ip in the set up of this program. thanks

But you wouldnt know what the IP address is, if it changes, to get into the router in the first place. No-Ip running on your PC on the network, any PC, checks the IP when it changes and sends the info out to your no-ip account.

Rory