jobes

Auto Tracking PTZ

Does anyone have any experience using this auto tracking camera

[edit by mod-store link removed]

I'd like to add it to cover my fixed outdoor units to give me some movement. Its seems fairly cheap which is fine I don't want to spend a ton.

I'm not to to familiar with that unit but I can let you look at a manual to one we carry that seems very similar.

http://tinyurl.com/4n9xqq

There's a link to the .doc files for viewing!

If you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

John

This stuff only really works well in indoor applications. Often they will track the largest moving object which is not always what you want. It is soo much dumber then a human operator it's not even funny. You must make it's job very simple.

Are their no other models around? I really can't find any other info on a tracking PTZ

What do you want it to do ? They "track" using either motion detection or a pre-set "tour" that you set the parameters for. Another poster was right in stating that PTZ's are "dumb" to a point. They can "auto-flip" but it's almost like setting the limits on a CCTV scanner, just more complicated. They won't "track" some objects and their limits are pretty narrow. I know this didn't help at all. The best real time tracking is with a human operator.

If you are serious the only option I know of is the Panasonic, but still it's not overly smart and it cost x3 what you linked to.

I have installed a number of the Autotracking cameras that CCTVImports carry with success. I actually never thought they would catch on but I actually have two customers that have two installed each. Both customers love them.

You really need to set the expectation with the customer or understand that it is motion sensitive and it may be running around trying to catch falling leaves or a bird flying by. You can set the size of the object to track but I have mixed results using this setting.

When installing one of these cameras I always suggest that the customer also install a parameter camera so when the camera is off tracking something that you don't miss something else. I like the programmability of the cameras. I can record a manual track for the camera to follow and have it loop the track indefinitely. I live where it is very cold in the winter and when the temp drops to -40 sometimes these cameras have continued operating without issue.

I have just quoted out another 3 of them recently. I like them, don't know if anyone else has any experience with them but I'd be happy to talk more about how I use them and programming.

I would advise using them in a busy parking lot unless you just want to use it for the other great programming features without actually using the autotracking part of it. I have one customer that is using it at their residence and another at a large garage where they have trucks coming and going but he likes the camera and the way it operates.

The price is fair for them I think. I will keep selling them as long as people are happy with the quality and what they can provide.

Thanks for the feedback everybody. Yes, I do have my other stationary cameras covering the property but I think this would be a good suppliant to what we have and then also have the ability to follow an event either automatically or by human taking control of the PTZ.

Does anyone know if these are 1/4 or 1/3? All of my cams are 1/3 and what if these are 1/4.

Does anyone know if these are 1/4 or 1/3? All of my cams are 1/3 and what if these are 1/4.

Well the CC2600 AT Camera at CCTVImports is a 1/4". I have a 9 camera system at a customer with two of these and the rest are all 1/3. No problems although theoretically the larger the better so a 1/3 would allow more light but these AT Cameras I have installed are great at night.

Can you point me to a 1/3 unit. I cant find any searching.

Well the CC2600 AT Camera at CCTVImports is a 1/4". I have a 9 camera system at a customer with two of these and the rest are all 1/3. No problems although theoretically the larger the better so a 1/3 would allow more light but these AT Cameras I have installed are great at night.

Can you point me to a 1/3 unit. I cant find any searching.

When I say the others are 1/3" I am referring to the other non-PTZ cameras. I have 7 additional cameras which are all 1/3" one is a dome, one is a bullet and the other 5 are all box cams in outdoor heated enclosures.

Any specific reason why you are looking for a 1/3" PTZ AT Camera? The 1/4" will not work for you?

no doubt if I were to install one it would be a WV-CW974, more money but much smarter then any other I have played with. If you have 2 they can track from 1 cam to another.

Demo video

Definitely a smarter camera but the cons I read are a lot of the same cons I see with the one's we currently use. So myself personally would not buy it because why spend that much more on a camera that will have a lot of the same issues plus my customers like the price I am able to give on the ones I use now plus it satisfies there wants. Both cameras you will find will never track everything you want them to track so trying to sell it on this point will not fly with a customer. If I could tell a customer the cost difference will let them tell the camera what to track and what not then maybe yes but that will never happen. Like in the demo it shows how they can lock onto the subject without following anyone else that come into view. Well......how about if someone else in the view is causing problems and you want it to change to a different subject without having to direct it....It ain't gonna happen with either camera as it's impossible for it to know what is good to follow and what is not

I never suggest using these in a busy environment anyhow. However, I'm sure these cameras will get smarter and smarter it's just this Panasonic is a bit too highend for what my current customers would want. Funny thing is they even state outside may give undesired performance.

Digressing here: What I would like to see is GV to have object track without the need for a spot camera. I guess since it is all pixels on the screen why I can't use any old PTZ camera and have GV issue the move commands in the direction of the moving object. I imagine it can be done it's just not at that point yet. If the protocol is Pelco then any Pelco protocol capable camera should work, NO? Sorry to digress I just thought there could be a lower cost way of providing the autotracking for people who just want the basic capability without paying an arm and a leg for it. Maybe they currently have a PTZ camera and would like to turn it into an object tracking PTZ. There is a market out there for this stuff. I have a lot of interested people in this auto-tracking technology but most wants it for nothing.

My 3c this time

Not sure other than my lack of knowledge I suppose. My other fixed cams are 1/3 and I just figured I should match those specs. Kinda like a pair of shoes.

But it sounds like I can be wearing a sneaker and a sandle and things will still play well together.

I am interested in that Panasonic WV-CW974 auto track. Being this is the only PTZ with my other 11 stationary units should I use the Client software from Intellicam or a standalone controller to control the PTZ?

If someone could give me the simple rundown on whats needed that would be super. Still in learning mode.

As far as I see, there shall be some factory in Asia: iSmart CCTV. Their tracking cams have auto P/T/Z while tracking.

Now their cams can provide various program/setting for various enviroment such as indoor, parking lot, banking or traffic surveillance. We can find more options in their OSD. I just got such idea from some samples.

However, I do hope they will add more functions such IP, facial recognition. Oh, shall be too costy, I think.

If you go with the 974 you will be getting one of the best auto-tracking cameras out there. I have seen first hand demos of the 974 at ISC West and the quality of the tracking was superb (significantly better than the 964). My own experience has been installing the 964 - very similar in most respects - but the tracking and onboard software is not as sophisticated. The best setup for the autotracking camera, in my opinion is to use one or more of the hardwired alarm inputs to the PTZ and link these to the an alarm output on the DVR. The DVR output can then be triggered by motion detected on one or more of the fixed cameras and cause the PTZ to swing round to the target location. This is an excellent solution for choke points that are covered by a fixed camera - and also within view of a PTZ.

As far as controlling, I don't know what the capabilities are of the Intellicam DVR/Software are but as long as it supports the Panasonic protocol you will be able to control the 964/974. If not, then you won't even be able to program the Panasonics (to my knowledge, neither the 964 nor the 974 support the Pelco protocols).

You may be interested in the software that I have created for programming and operating PTZ cameras called PTZ Pro - you can learn more at www.vidiguard.com. I am shortly going to release the Panasonic version which will enable you to setup/program/control a 964/974.

If you can get a 974 then I think they are awesome cameras and the build quality is superb (NOTE: treat the camera as delicately as if it were a raw egg - until its safely mounted and bolted in. The panasonics don't like lateral G-Shock at all)

As far as controlling, I don't know what the capabilities are of the Intellicam DVR/Software are but as long as it supports the Panasonic protocol you will be able to control the 964/974. If not, then you won't even be able to program the Panasonics (to my knowledge, neither the 964 nor the 974 support the Pelco protocols).

Actually, it does support Pelco P protocal. There are a couple dipswitches you can set to change it to Pelco P protocol. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will email you the documentation on this.

and yes, this is by far the best analog auto-tracker on the market and setup appears to be nearly as simple as the 964.