Goobie

Pinhole vs actual lens question

As I'm completely new to this, I was hoping somebody who has experience with these cameras can tell how the image from a 1/3" CCD 420TVL B/W camera with a 3.6mm pinhole lens compares to the image from the same camera with an actual 3.6mm board lens on it. Is the image quality better or worse? Is it more or less sensitive in low light conditions? Which one is the better camera to pick if you have to pick from these 2?

many thanks

Pinhole lenses don't give nearly as good a picture as standard lenses, even good board camera lenses. They require more light and generally have poorer overall focus.

Generally speaking, the larger diameter the lens, the better its overall focus and light gathering capabilities.

Please do not buy a camera based on whether it is a Pinhole, or other kind of lense camera.

What you need to do is decide on whether you want a V8, or an inline 4 cylinder engine.

Will you be towing trailers for commercial construction?

Will you be towing your recreational boat?

Will you drive 30 miles one way to work, and back another 30, and gas conservation is of the essence?

Do you care about resell value?

Will this be mounted to an automatic transmission, or to a manual?

Is this a weekend race car warrior? Do you gamble your pink slip?

If you loose can you afford to part with your car?

Will this be used for deliving mail with lots of stop, and go?

Will you be driving long haul? From coast to coast?

I know I sound sarcastic, and I do not mean to. I just want you to put some thought in to your selection.

Let me give you a sample installation.

I have a beer pub with a tight budget, but they are having issues.

Here is a worthless DVR, but it is "OK" for viewing over the internet.

http://eclipsecctv.com/comet9_security_DVR.html

For the front door, and the back door, and the office door I will use this camera.

http://www.avsdvr.com/?s=product&sub=camera&cat=outdoor&p=vnd49ir

OK! It is not God's gift to CCTV, but for the budget this will work.

It is varifocal so later down the road when he has a new issue, then he can point it in a new direction, and change the lens setting to solve that problem, and then it can point it back to where he needs it.

This can be taken outdoors for a new problem, and then brought back inside.

For the pool tables, dart boards, and table, and chair areas then I will use something like this

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-374.html

The bar ceiling is painted black. This will hide very well in the club.

If you need something covert then I use these! YES! I USE THESE IN VERY DARK CLUBS! Believe it or not! This is great for the office, or in a store room, or a liquor storage area!

http://eclipsecctv.com/ECL-PIR.html

OK! This is not the reference standard for installing a CCTV system, and I do not recommend it. If a bar owner is on a budget, and this is all that he has to work with then that is fine. I will have him sign more paper work than a mortgage to get me off the hook for everything!

Now the bar owner can watch a cash register, or an ATM machine, or watch the manager counting cash in the office from home, or from a vacation hideaway. He can watch what is going on around the pool tables, or the dart boards.

If something is spotted on one of those cheesy one inch by one inch mini camera then you can always go to the front door camera to get the facial shot of the guy.

Notice that the system is flexable. Indoors/outdoors, wide angle, reg angle,or a little bit of zoom! Move the cables to the left, or to the right with the minis, and use them where ever you need them!

Lense selection is important also. Do you want a 4mm, 6mm, or a 12mm lens??

There is a distance distortion when you use wide angle lenses. Something at 20 feet will appear farther away in the video compared to reality.

You will not get facial recognition with wide angle cameras!

Match the camera to the job. Do not match the job to work with the camera!

See what I mean? What do you think?

thanks to both of your for the replies, and I think I start to get the picture. I have no budget for a cctv system but would still like to see whats going on in an open area behind my house, day and night. I can get a camera with the following specs made by Pentaone at a good price and thought I'd play around with it for that purpouse, so if you guys say that a pinhole is less sensitive then the 0.05 lux is an overstatement, or what?:

Pin Hole Black and White camera, designed for covert CCTV installations.

Specifications:

Signal Format: CCIR

Horizontal resolution: 420TV Lines

Pick-up device: 1/3" Interline CCD

Viewing Angle: 90°

Scanning System: 625 lines interlaced

Synchronization: Internal

Video Output signal: Standard composite signal 1Vp-p composite video into 75ohms

Light sensitivity - 30 IRE: 0.05 Lux (Scene)

Auto-Iris: 1/50 - 1/100,000 sec Auto

Signal to Noise Ratio: 45 dB or more (AGC off)

Gamma: 0.45

AGC: On

Input Voltage: DC 12V

Power Consumption: 1.1W or less

Operating Temperature: -10°C to +55°C

Storage Temperature: -20°C to +70°C

Operating Humidity: Under 95% Non-condensing

Storage Humidity: Under 90% Non-condensing

Aside from the pinhole lens, you are not going to be happy with the daylight performance due the high amount of infrared light present and the impact on a monochrome camera with no IR filter.

Budget or not, if you going to spend any money and expect something that works to any extent at all get a day/night camera of some sort.

I do alot of enty level installs.

As long as you are aware of your limitations then you will be fine.

You will want a bullet camera. Measure where you are going to mount it to the area where you are going to view.

Double this distance for your infared.

If you buy a 30 feet IR camera then it is going to be effective at 15 feet.

If you measure 30 feet then you will want a 60 feet IR camera at a minimum.

Do not put a powerful IR camera for short distances, as you will wash out the person you are watching. Put a 10,000 candle power search light in your face at 10 feet, and you will not be able to make out a face.

Lens selection is the next step. I recommend a vari focal. You spend more on it, but then you get flexability.

thanks for all the advice, so to recap, even on a small budget I should go for bullet cam, varifocal, day/night with IR illumination. I'm assuming CCD and not CMOS.

Then the next question: to Ebay or not to Ebay? Will the cheap Hong Kong cams still give better quality than a board camera with a pinhole lens?

thanks for all the advice, so to recap, even on a small budget I should go for bullet cam, varifocal, day/night with IR illumination. I'm assuming CCD and not CMOS.

Then the next question: to Ebay or not to Ebay? Will the cheap Hong Kong cams still give better quality than a board camera with a pinhole lens?

Ebay is hit/miss when it comes to buying cameras.

Also CMOS is a bad idea so try to stay away from it if you can help it. If I were you I'd look at some of the companies out there and see what type of "systems" they have to offer first.

Varifocal + IR is definitely a good choice as if your needs change or you feel a camera would be better used in another location you can always move it and adjust the cameras lens accordingly.

Thanks,

John