IPSecurityPro

All I see is Geovision Information Here

Rory have you looked at the PC's that Shuttle builds? They aren't as small as the Cappuccino, but they are pretty tiny. They are ment for music types who want to play MP3s on a system that looks like it belongs with Stero equipment.

Downfall is aw with these were that having a powersupply that is proprietory menas that a failure in power supply requires a whole new shuttle case and board.. and the ventilation is really not adequate in such a small case, mind you that is more of a concern over here were heat is of such an issue

I've just been catching up on this thread ... great postings guys!

The problem I find is that for each one that can see through the hype, there are hundreds of end users that are ready to buy into it, and it doesn't really matter a damn what we think or know, these 'pioneers' are quite happy to throw their money at it.

I managed to pin down a heavy weight manufacturer earlier this year, and I asked them straight where they stood on the issue of IP as the future of CCTV.

The refreshing answer was .... 1] way too expensive in the short term, 2] a desperate attempt by them (and others) to squeeze a bit more profit out of the established hyper competitive CCTV market place, and 3] the likelyhood of a further 3 -5 years development before the technology matures to become the 'prefered' option, in the majority of situations.

Convergence may be on its way, but it ain't here yet

On the user end I see IT people pushing in for IP cameras rather then tradisional systems because it lets them start to absorb some of the budget/personel of security department. Plus they are toys for the system admins to play with.

Sad but true Thomas!

The biggest problem of course is that IT Managers generally know little if anything about site security, and many Security Managers know just about enough IT to open their e-mail, and rarely if ever do the two departments get on with each other.

If anyone thinks convergence is going to be painless, I think they're living in cloud cuckoo land.

But the convergence is coming. IT is already absorbing the PBX stuff in most companies. Security is probley next.

Just read this the other day in the ASMAG:

" 50% of New CCTV systems are PC-networked

- An oline survey carried out jointly by Norbain SD and CMP information has revealed 50% of new CCTV systems are integrated with computer networks for viewing, transmitting or storing captured CCTV footage

-20 % of the audience said 100% of their installations involve a link to a computer network of some kind"

Article goes on to talk about CCTV-IT integration is becoming the norm rather than the exception. "This has many implications. Installers need an additional set of skills when linking CCTV systems to existing networks but they also need to be able to advise their customers of implications of networked transmission and storage topics such as data protection act"

Personally I agree with cooperman, its gonna take some time before convergence becomes mainstream. However, must say theres tonnes of computer VARs down here who are going into CCTV and yet know jack about it, They see CAT5 cabling and these Axis cameras and jump straight into the deep end, ive been shocked at some of the prices these guys have quoted to some of my customers for "new revolutionary CCTV". (To me its a bunch of ugly cameras). However im a bit unsure to whether cctv will transform itself like the PBX-VOIP, just have to wait and see!

CCTVINSTALLER

A happy new year to you too ....

If I wasn't already depressed about the UK CCTV industry, I am now!

Just goes to show what we were saying about people buying in to the hype.

Funny but if somebody tried to sell me a big Volvo with a 1.1 litre engine, I'd think they were mad, and yet whacking loads of IP cameras onto a bandwidth restricted network is becoming all the rage ( ), aka 'the way forward', aka ' the future of surveillance'.

We all agree that convergence is a comin', but if standards are going to be further affected in the short term, simply because the blind are leading the blind, that's probably not going to do the CCTV industry's reputation any good.

Mind you, the next few years should be interesting, to put it mildly.

Standards will emerge. One thing you can always count upon for IT people is that we love standards. But the IP camera market is going to suck until there is enough shake up to force standards. The general trend in software is moving toward comodity software anyway with the money being in support contracts.