Jeffrey

Help me configure my DVR For Remote Access

I have a Merit Lin DVR. I can remote access is though the local network by the dvrs Ip address. But, I can't access it from a different network. I have forwarded port 80 by the manual.

Whatelse am I missing?

I've never used one of these before, but most DVR setup is typical.

If you are trying to remote access with the client software you need to open more ports than just port 80.

I'm not sure what ports this unit use, but if can post the manual or PM me I'll be ,re than happy to help.

Make sure and give the unit a static IP address for your local network, then port forward to that IP address, you will be able to remote access the DVR on the local network without forwarding any ports.

I've never used one of these before, but most DVR setup is typical.

If you are trying to remote access with the client software you need to open more ports than just port 80.

I'm not sure what ports this unit use, but if can post the manual or PM me I'll be ,re than happy to help.

Make sure and give the unit a static IP address for your local network, then port forward to that IP address, you will be able to remote access the DVR on the local network without forwarding any ports.

I figured it out. I Had to enable DMZ and enter the DVR's IP for it to work.

This is safe doing it this way correct?

I went into the modems configuration and forwarded my WAN IP to my dvr's IP.

I thought I had it figured out.

For anyone that wants to offer some assisatance here is link to the manual:

http://www.meritlilin.us/pdf/6160CSE-1.pdf?osCAdminID=bfc564837a4a7ef73050319eeff8b883&osCAdminID=bfd3a5cd7ebc66e34068bbcbed05b555&osCsid=c0f7f84ed220e75340d9213c906346b2

Page 111 is the Remote Setup. My Router is a Belkin Router. I can access from the LAN but from WAN I cannot.

If the DMZ didn't work you must be doing something wrong. That just opens up all ports for a given local IP as an alternative to just opening the ones you need.

If you put the DVR on a static IP did you correctly set the subnet mask, and gateway settings on the DVR?

On some routers it's called a "virtual server" and you need to add a special application to your DVR's IP and assign the open ports you want.

From the manual page 40:

Port 80—HTML web pages

Port 3100—Command port

So, try adding 3100, both TCP and UDP